Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Frustratingly Keeping Good Stuff for Lincoln - PHEV Aviator

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST High Perf Package
We own a 2022 Explorer ST. Love it. Best vehicle we've ever owned.

Before this we leased an Aviator Grand Touring PHEV for one year, and then got out of the lease to get the Explorer ST. We really didn't like a lot of things about the Aviator, except for the PHEV powertrain. It was awesome. almost 100hp more than the Explorer ST. But because it was a Lincoln, and Ford seems to concentrate on luxury comfort at the expense of everything else in their Lincoln line, the Aviator drove like a bouncy castle with a rocket engine attached to it. In terms of driving experience, I feel like I got an upgrade going from the Aviator to the Explorer ST. Ok, lost quite a bit of luxury, but still.

But it smarted a bit to give up all that power. If Ford would take that 494hp/630lb-ft PHEV drive train from the Aviator (basically the same vehicle) and put it in the Explorer ST, I'd trade ours in TODAY to get that upgrade. But it just isn't available. So frustrating!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
You can always move across the pond. They apparently have ST PHEV. The Lincoln is only listed as .2/second faster through the quarter. Put a tune on your ST and you won't feel you're missing a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
You can always move across the pond. They apparently have ST PHEV. The Lincoln is only listed as .2/second faster through the quarter. Put a tune on your ST and you won't feel you're missing a thing.
Yeah even Fords tune will do 0-60 in 4.5 sec.. Really quick.
We own a 2022 Explorer ST. Love it. Best vehicle we've ever owned.

Before this we leased an Aviator Grand Touring PHEV for one year, and then got out of the lease to get the Explorer ST. We really didn't like a lot of things about the Aviator, except for the PHEV powertrain. It was awesome. almost 100hp more than the Explorer ST. But because it was a Lincoln, and Ford seems to concentrate on luxury comfort at the expense of everything else in their Lincoln line, the Aviator drove like a bouncy castle with a rocket engine attached to it. In terms of driving experience, I feel like I got an upgrade going from the Aviator to the Explorer ST. Ok, lost quite a bit of luxury, but still.

But it smarted a bit to give up all that power. If Ford would take that 494hp/630lb-ft PHEV drive train from the Aviator (basically the same vehicle) and put it in the Explorer ST, I'd trade ours in TODAY to get that upgrade. But it just isn't available. So frustrating!
Im sure if you wouldve added stuff like larger rear sway bar, and lowering springs handling wouldve been same as ST.

OP
theotherdave
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST High Perf Package
Thread Starter #4
It was a lease.

It's also nice to get an effective 40-50mpg driving around on small errands with the PHEV.

Kermit1320

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I haven't driven a PHEV yet, but I bet I'm sure that 630 lb/ft torque has something to do with that equation. Not to mention, EV's don't struggle with traction the same way. Take the Tesla Plaid....looks like crap (IMO) but very consistent 9 second car because it just hooks right off the line.

Sure, bigger numbers get you down the track faster but people often forget you aren't going anywhere fast if you don't get traction and get the car to hook off the line. That is one of the reasons I bought a 1320 Challenger. It has the 6.4 392 and a total blast to drive, but more importantly it has actual suspension components and tuning designed for drag racing along with street legal drag radials. Using the trans brake and some other features of this package and it helps get the car off the line faster. Is it faster than a Hellcat, RedEye or SuperStock with superchargers? Absolutely not. But given the fact it will hook with so little effort, it will surprise a few supercharged drivers with less experience and might even eek out an occasional win. Yet an experienced driver will make it up on the top end.