Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

First towing experience, fantastic......

gpz1221

Reactions
Pulled the boat out of the lake this week and used the ST. Fantastic experience, really liked the trailer light check, BLIS trailer mode (worked great) and the sway control I take did it's job, no swaying on the highway (although trailer was nice & level)... The ST went into "trailer mode" when I plugged in the trailer electric's and turned off cross traffic and back up sensors automatically. It did not turn off the automatic foot activated hatch though and the hatch opened up automatically by surprise when I was hooking it up. I used tow haul mode no issues, I did notice that it didn't get out of 8th gear on the highway. My biggest surprise was the hitch receiver was high enough that I had to pick up a 2" drop ball mount. All in all, I was very impressed and felt extremely confident towing with the ST...

Reactions
Thanks for the share, how much weight were you pulling?

OP
gpz1221

gpz1221

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Around 3,200#'s all in trailer, boat, motor, contents... Barely could tell it was even there behind me...

OP
gpz1221

gpz1221

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
No temperature issues at all, I was watching both the temp gauges (you get 2 in tow mode ?) and they didn't move. The outdoor temp was in the low 60's, 90 mile drive, mostly highway. The ST felt like it could handle much more than my #3200 boat..

Last edited:
Reactions
No temperature issues at all, I was watching both the temp gauges (you get 2 in tow mode ?) and they didn't move. The outdoor temp was in the low 60's though. The ST felt like it could handle much more than my #3200 boat..
Great to hear this we plan on towing a small travel trailer next spring to Moab. Thanks!

Indydrt

Reactions
By any chance did you happen to notice your Gas mileage when Towing ?

OP
gpz1221

gpz1221

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Yes, it looked to be 2-3 mpg lower than non-towing over my 90 mile mostly highway drive. I attributed that the to the tow mode which didn't get any higher than 8th gear, thus was pulling higher RPM's and shifted down more often on the inclines. I left it in tow mode, however with my approx 3200 lb. load/boat, I felt the ST could have easily been in normal mode which may have helped with the gas mileage.. I'll be able to test the mpg in normal mode in another 6 months or so when I put the boat back in the lake..

Indydrt

Reactions
Pulled the boat out of the lake this week and used the ST. Fantastic experience, really liked the trailer light check, BLIS trailer mode (worked great) and the sway control I take did it's job, no swaying on the highway (although trailer was nice & level)... The ST went into "trailer mode" when I plugged in the trailer electric's and turned off cross traffic and back up sensors automatically. It did not turn off the automatic foot activated hatch though and the hatch opened up automatically by surprise when I was hooking it up. I used tow haul mode no issues, I did notice that it didn't get out of 8th gear on the highway. My biggest surprise was the hitch receiver was high enough that I had to pick up a 2" drop ball mount. All in all, I was very impressed and felt extremely confident towing with the ST...
Thanks GPz1221. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with V nose and a sloped front roof and a lowered
roof 6” lower. Weight aprox 2000 lbs no more ,
just hauling model airplanes. It’s the aerodynamics and torq to pull at constant speed on highway that concerned me in tow mode how it performed .
To maintain a constant speed. Without the tranny constantly hunting for lower gears. so 8th gear not to bad. What was your speed and rpms?
Diesel suv would be nice but can’t really find what I want in size I want etc etc. so. Thanks so much for the reply. Mine is ordered with 2nd row bench seat. Gotta wait. Ok thanks again indydrt

OP
gpz1221

gpz1221

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
The ST should pull that no issues, especially in flatter road Florida, assuming you're staying in state. I was pulling in upstate NY, with rolling hills which definitely effected the shifting. The ST pulled my boat so effortlessly, I honestly feel the 5600 lb. two rating is even low with the 400/415 under hood and 10 speed tranny. My RPM's at 65-70 were running on the flats about 300-400 rpm more in 8th gear in tow mode vs. normal mode, thus the expected mpg drop. I must also add, I towed using 87 octane in the tank which also effects gas mileage efficiency. When you finally get out there, try normal mode and let us know how you make out. You'll most likely be towing before I do again and you don't even have your ST yet... What color did you get ? Good luck with the new ride, you're going to love it

Reactions
I've yet to see the need to turn off hitch foot opener, how's that done? Easier to just keep fob up front so it wobt sense it back there?

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I am positive that the ST can pull wayyy more than the 5600lbs. I had a Range Rover rated for 7200lbs towing and I pulled a trailer that was easily 7500lbs when loaded up with water and camping gear, etc. Aside from the mileage, I couldn't even feel the trailer with that thing and I'm sure the ST setup will perform very well with towing. The important difference to pay attention to while towing is in the tongue weight and any brake controls. (not sure if there's a controller set up in tow mode?). My rover had air suspension which leveled out the trailer and rear end of the truck, and I had an aftermarket brake controller. I don't think the ST has the adjustable rear end or the brake controller built in, so a weight distribution hitch might be required here. I'd be interested in hearing from the group if that's the case.