Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

First Oil Change - Not the Filter I expected to Find!

robbcwz

Reactions
Just completed the first oil change on the 2021 ST and was surprised to find that the original factory oil filter was and FT4E-6714-AA and not a FL-2062A as listed in the Owners Manual. A little Google searching suggests that the FL-2062A is the updated replacement for the FT4E-6714-AA.

While "similar" the FT4E-6714-AA seems a more robust construction - black plastic retainers at each end along with at least one vertical metal support bar that offers some rigidity, and a very slightly larger diameter. Has anyone else found the FT4E-6714-AA oil filter on their first oil change?

The only other minor difference was in the oil spec which was now API SP. I nearly did use some API SN-Plus that I had on hand but caught the spec change at the last moment.

Reactions
I’ve been using the Napa gold 100050 oil filters as it’s similar to the FT4E-6714-AA filter in that it has the black plastic ends as well as an interior support structure. The online picture of the Napa gold filter doesn’t show the plastic ends.

Reactions
I changed out their oil at 1000 miles and threw a K&N HP-7037 in.

Reactions
The first thing I did right after taking delivery was to schedule an appointment and within 50 miles on the ODO, got the oil changed to Mobil 1 full synthetic.