Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Faster After Break In

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Does anyone know if these vehicles get slightly faster after their broken in a little? Also, what is generally the amount of miles the vehicle should have to be considered broken in? I bought mine last December and only have 4,200 miles on it so far thanks to Corona. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s broken in...not that it really needs it.

Reactions
The manual says to drive 1600 kms before driving fast or towing.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The manual says to drive 1600 kms before driving fast or towing.
That’s the prerequisite lawyer talk. Drive it however you want it, vary the speeds for a few hundred miles and have fun.

LokiWolf

Reactions
That’s the prerequisite lawyer talk. Drive it however you want it, vary the speeds for a few hundred miles and have fun.
I varied the speeds! From 0-60 several times...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
engine break in is nonsense. its a myth. drive it however you want. once the rings are bedded, your engine is never going to get better. its only going to get worse.

Reactions
engine break in is nonsense. its a myth. drive it however you want. once the rings are bedded, your engine is never going to get better. its only going to get worse.
And this takes cylinder pressure!! Idling around is a great way to burnish rings. When I was building engines, it was 20 minutes of cam break in(if a flat tappet) while checking for leaks.. Then some WOT pulls to ever increasing RPM's with cool downs sprinkled in. But cylinder pressure is key! You need to shove those rings into the bores to break them in, and this requires cylinder pressure, not just ring tension