Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Factory thermostat vs. SPD 180 degree thermostat

Reactions
I have seen some debate, and have a couple of questions:

1) What is the factory thermostat on the '20 Explorer ST rated for? (180º or is it confirmed higher?)
2) If one has the vehicle factory tuned, is it still worth swapping out for an SPD 180º t-stat?
3) If running factory, will you get an engine code after swapping thermostats?
4) What are the downsides (if any) to swapping thermostats?

I started this because I didn't want to take over UNBROKEN's thread (which I really dig). I did search these forums and elsewhere and didn't find a ton of concrete info.

Reactions
Following

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

OP
schaggatron
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Still researching, haven't found answers yet.

Reactions
The stock RT1225:

RT1225.jpg

There's lots of info in the thread I created on a 170° version, which I'm guessing you have seen. Those of us in the Cobra world have been using the 170 for years, which is another model that is easily crafted with two Stant thermostats for less than $20. Some reading on it from my Terminator site: http://www.terminator-cobra.com/cooling.htm#170°_Thermostat

OP
schaggatron
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks. :)

Reactions
The fact you have to remove the air box bracket and rad house to get to this makes it not worth your time.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The fact you have to remove the air box bracket and rad house to get to this makes it not worth your time.
It’s 3 bolts on the bracket and 2 on the t-stat housing. No hoses need to come off. Took all of 10 minutes.

Reactions
It’s 3 bolts on the bracket and 2 on the t-stat housing. No hoses need to come off. Took all of 10 minutes.
the pipe sites right above the housing, not sure how you removed it without dropping any bolts.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
the pipe sites right above the housing, not sure how you removed it without dropping any bolts.
I popped the airbox bracket off then the 2 bolts in the housing, pulled it back, swapped the t-stat, put the o-ring back in and bolted it back together.

OP
schaggatron
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Just gotta find time to do it. Life.... gets in the way sometimes. :)

Reactions
Why swap one 180° t-stat for another 180° t-stat?

Reactions
Because nobody ever makes a typo. lol
It not only says it in the thread title, but it is also said in the post, which is why I asked what I did.

There is also an edit feature, and since it was never edited, nor corrected throughout the post, I thought I was missing something.

OP
schaggatron
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Because nobody ever makes a typo. lol
Because SPD makes a 180 & 170 option. Apparently the factory thermostat on the ST is 180, so getting the SPD 180 is virtually pointless. So you'd think "hey I should get the 170." Except if you live in a colder climate it may make more sense to keep the factory (180) thermostat.

It not only says it in the thread title, but it is also said in the post, which is why I asked what I did.

There is also an edit feature, and since it was never edited, nor corrected throughout the post, I thought I was missing something.
Correct. There was no edit. the 180 in the post/title was deliberate. :)

Attachments

Reactions
Because SPD makes a 180 & 170 option. Apparently the factory thermostat on the ST is 180, so getting the SPD 180 is virtually pointless. So you'd think "hey I should get the 170." Except if you live in a colder climate it may make more sense to keep the factory (180) thermostat.

Thank you for the clarification!

Reactions

That's looks like a Stant thermostat or an OE Motorcraft, which is made by Stant. If you see "STC" on the bottom, for Stant Thermostat Corporation, that will tell you. A certain on-line vendor that sells the 170° for a ridiculous price uses them as well. It's why I pointed out how easy it was to make them a low-cost DIY project rather than pay three times as much for the same thing.

STC.jpg

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
What kind of climates would the 170 make sense? Southern California for instance.