Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FND Factory flex pipes and exhaust - NE OH, or SE MI.

Reactions
Thread can be deleted.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Uggh. That really sucks about your original MRT install. It did seem like an easy matter to just grind off the tack welds so I'm wondering why your shop elected to cut it out.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I should have done the grinding myself had I known. As they told me, they only cut and weld. Oh well, lesson learned, but kinda’ pisses me off about MRT tacking on those clamps!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, everyone has reported their clamps are too large. In the end, it just made more headache and expense for you. Sucks.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Total bummer for sure.

In any case, most likely just scored a like-new exhaust in SE MI, so hopefully I'll have this rectified soon enough.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
are you planning to swap it in or just have for backup? Who is your local exhaust shop? Haven't needed one in years but Allstar Discount Muffler in Cleveland was honest and affordable back in the day.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Looking for a good condition, low mile, factory exhaust and flex-pipes so I can re-install my Gibson axle-back kit. Had an MRT H-pipe that had been tack-welded in, so my local shop cut the original flex-pipes and added extensions to the tubes behind the resonator. Looks kind of like a Frankenstein exhaust now, and if my flex-pipes ever need to be replaced, I doubt Ford will want to fuss with it since they are now welded. Willing to drive a couple hours, and will gladly pay for shipping on the flex-pipes unless I just decide to buy them new. Thanks in advance.
Yep… sounds like your local muffler shop screwed up everything.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
are you planning to swap it in or just have for backup? Who is your local exhaust shop? Haven't needed one in years but Allstar Discount Muffler in Cleveland was honest and affordable back in the day.
Just went to another local Cleveland shop that has been around for a while. Probably could have waited and had one other place take care of it - the right way - but I was there and wanted it knocked out. Unfortunately, I made the assumption they'd leave the forward band clamps in place rather than weld the resonator to the flex pipes. It will probably be fine for years, but I'm picky and hate the idea of having any aluminized pieces in there. In any case, I'll put all the "new" un-cut stuff on and then remove the mufflers for the Gibson swap. Just in case, I'll probably wrap up the mufflers and keep them stored away.

Reactions
I have the OEM flex pipes and exhaust...and cats. I'm in Cincinnati.

OP
jrgoffin
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for letting me know. Might have found them already, but if that falls through, I’ll get in touch. Nothing agreed yet on price, so that could be a deciding factor.