Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Factory 20" ST Wheel +Tire Weight vs 22" Wheel Tire Weight

LowBoost

Reactions
Hello, Just weighed the factory 20" ST Wheel with factory Michellin tire. I used a commercial shipping scale.

Factory 20" Wheel & Tire weight is
73.20lbs

22" Velgen VF5 wheels 10.5" wide 30 Offset with LionHart 305-35-22 Tires weight is
64.60lbs

Weight Savings roughly 9lbs per wheel and tire of rotating mass.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Hello, Just weighed the factory 20" ST Wheel with factory Michellin tire. I used a commercial shipping scale.

73.20lbs

22" Velgen VF5 wheels 10.5" wide 30 Offset with LionHart 305-35-22 Tires weight is
64.60lbs

It’s a bit of a double edge sword though…even though you lost weight which is good, you moved the weight you have to the outside of the wheel…which is bad.
I don’t know of a way to calculate the actual benefit but it’s smaller than weight loss alone.

Reactions
Went a better direction than I did.

Stockers were 74lbs on my bathroom scales and my cast 22’s with 285/40’s were 82lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It would be very difficult to calculate- and no, I'm not interested enough to break out Wolfram and try, especially since I don't know the weight of the tire vs rim. However, given that the overall diameter is roughly the same, a 9 lb savings per wheel is probably a bit better. Certainly would help with unsprung weight in any case. My last STI had 17" Rays wheels with tires a combined weight of 37 lbs. So that seems like a LOT of weight for ST wheels!

F=MA

Reactions

73.20lbs

64.60lbs

Tires weigh 34 lbs each.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It would be very difficult to calculate- and no, I'm not interested enough to break out Wolfram and try, especially since I don't know the weight of the tire vs rim. However, given that the overall diameter is roughly the same, a 9 lb savings per wheel is probably a bit better. Certainly would help with unsprung weight in any case. My last STI had 17" Rays wheels with tires a combined weight of 37 lbs. So that seems like a LOT of weight for ST wheels!
OD is roughly the same but the weight of the wheel hoop is further out. You still get most of the unsprung weight benefits like you mention with handling and such but the acceleration benefits aren’t as great.
I went through the same thing…78.8lb 21’s to 63.3lb 22’s…and not I’ve added run flat tires so I added another 3-4lbs per corner to what I had.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I'm about ~1 pound heavier with my aftermarket cast 22". I'm not going to cry about it because I didn't want to spend all of my budget on forged wheels. I went the cast route and have money left over to work on other upgrades. If I had the extra $$ I'd definately go forged or go down to a lighter 20" wheel.

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
so what about MPG differences going up in size?

on our old Denali XL we went from factory 17" to 20" and MPG dropped dramtically :(
I'm all for looking good, but looking good and paying for it weekly is another thing...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
so what about MPG differences going up in size?

on our old Denali XL we went from factory 17" to 20" and MPG dropped dramtically :(
I'm all for looking good, but looking good and paying for it weekly is another thing...
It's very hard to give any judgement about MPG with the limited info you offer. It's all about mass or effective final drive ratio. F=MA- meaning that if the wheel has more (M)ass or heavier it's going to take more (F)orce equaling less MPG to (A)ccelerate.

Unless the change in wheel size also led to increase in mass, or changed the effective final drive ratio, it shouldn't affect MPG.

Last edited:

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
It's very hard to give any judgement about MPG with the limited info you offer. It's all about mass or effective final drive ratio. F=MA- meaning that if the wheel has more (M)ass or heavier it's going to take more (F)orce equaling less MPG to (A)ccelerate.

Unless the change in wheel size also led to increase in mass, or changed the effective final drive ratio, it shouldn't affect MPG.
was referring to all the folks going from stock sizes to 22"

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Let me try to simplify my answer. If the wheel weighs more it will hurt your MPG.

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Let me try to simplify my answer. If the wheel weighs more it will hurt your MPG.
ok - so if the stock wheel/tire setup is 73 pounds, if you stay at that weight (or lower) you should keep your MPG when going up to a 22" wheel/tire combo

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
ok - so if the stock wheel/tire setup is 73 pounds, if you stay at that weight (or lower) you should keep your MPG when going up to a 22" wheel/tire combo
There’s too many variables to say a definitive yes or no. If you want 22’s…get them. Life is too short for stock wheels or caring about MPG.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST

73.20lbs
Thank you. (y)