Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer whining?

Reactions
Is it supposed to be whining? Noticeable only outside the car and idling

Reactions
i’ve noticed strange noises as well when it’s idling or when feathering the throttle trying to drive away quietly.. almost like the turbo spool is electronic.. not sure if that makes sense.. got louder with a tune, and then drowned out by an exhaust.. let’s see what an aftermarket intake does to the noise.. just need a company to make a damn intake already

OP
P
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
i’ve noticed strange noises as well when it’s idling or when feathering the throttle trying to drive away quietly.. almost like the turbo spool is electronic.. not sure if that makes sense.. got louder with a tune, and then drowned out by an exhaust.. let’s see what an aftermarket intake does to the noise.. just need a company to make a damn intake already
Yeah we need an intake, I put in a drop in filter which literally does nothing

Reactions
i’m almost considering making my own with aluminum tubing but that’s just me being impatient.. have you checked out all the piping going on in there? there’s a ram air tube from the grill to the air box and then two plastic tubes leading to the turbos.. i mean, it’s a good design for cold air, but must be awful for turbulence within the system.. i don’t know, i’m not an engineer..