Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer ST Steering problems

AJKjr

Reactions
Anyone having steering issues with your Explorer ST? My power steering failed 3 times while driving at 50MPG (back to dealer all 3 times)and I wrecked and totaled my 5 month 2020 ST 2 weeks ago. Almost killed me- I'll be recovering for months, so just trying to find out if this is an issue with the Explorer ST!

Last edited:
Reactions
Anyone having steering issues with your Explorer ST? My power steering failed 3 times while driving at 50MPG (back to dealer all 3 times)and I wrecked and totaled my 5 month 2020 ST 2 weeks ago. Almost killed me- I'll be recovering for months, so just trying to find out if this is an issue with the Explorer ST!
I've not had any issues but sorry to hear about that. Wishing you a full recovery.

Reactions
No steering problems so far. Manufacture date June 2019. 12K miles. Sorry for your problems and the result, speedy and full recovery indeed.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So no steering whatsoever? That's kind of scary. I wonder what the legal consequences are if this was brought to the dealer 3 times and no resolution, and an accident. Get well soon!

Reactions
So no steering whatsoever? That's kind of scary. I wonder what the legal consequences are if this was brought to the dealer 3 times and no resolution, and an accident. Get well soon!
I agree, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Glad you survived the wreck, and hope you're back on your feet soon!

Reactions
Have any pictures of the vehicle? I'm curious how the car held up.

Reactions
No power steering issues here. June 2019 build date, 12K miles.

Reactions
My power steering went out at 8,300 miles driving in California on a 6% grade from 6,000 ft. Glad to be alive. Brought it in to the dealership and they said there is a technical bulletin to reset computer. Not sure this is a solution being that I read this forum and somebody else had the same issue and brought it in 3 times to later to have an accident. Not sure what to do?

Reactions
My power steering went out at 8,300 miles driving in California on a 6% grade from 6,000 ft. Glad to be alive. Brought it in to the dealership and they said there is a technical bulletin to reset computer. Not sure this is a solution being that I read this forum and somebody else had the same issue and brought it in 3 times to later to have an accident. Not sure what to do?
Glad you’re safe.

I’d start here, by filing a complaint with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ The second step would be to meet with the general manager of your dealership and demand a buyback or a replacement vehicle.

The issue with your vehicle is quite serious and needs to be addresssed immediately by Ford.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Your power steering went out or total loss of steering

Reactions
Yes I had the same issue on my 2020 explorer ST and had near accident while driving on freeway.

Reactions
Your power steering went out or total loss of steering
Just the power steering and was like handling an 18 wheeler with using your arms with all you've got. It is dangerous since there is no way to react if you need to steer quickly

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I grew up driving trucks with manual steering...I’ll manage. lol

OP
A

AJKjr

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Glad you’re safe.

I’d start here, by filing a complaint with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ The second step would be to meet with the general manager of your dealership and demand a buyback or a replacement vehicle.

The issue with your vehicle is quite serious and needs to be addresssed immediately by Ford.
Thanks, I filed a complaint with NTSB and had already dealt with Ford on a buy back. Even though the steering failed 3 times in 4 months they refused to buy it back. 45 days later I totaled it. I appreciate the info. Have consulted with council and are reviewing options now.