Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer Sport Roof Rust

Fuquad

Reactions
We're looking to replace our 2013 Explorer Sport with a 2021 Explorer ST. The main reason we're looking is the rust on our roof. We recently had our windshield replaced and were told that it would be the last we can do due this rust. We've been told we need to replace the entire roof because of it, a $6k fix that neither insurance nor Ford will cover.

We're the original owners. It has 103k miles and this is literally the only issue we've had aside from our power steering module dying under warranty. Has anyone seen any paint issues like this on the ST?

Attachments

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Not that I have read about.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hopefully paint quality has gotten better since the last generation. On our 2013, we had the bubbling on the leading edge of the aluminum hood that was so common. That cost me $700 to have it resprayed.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hopefully paint quality has gotten better since the last generation. On our 2013, we had the bubbling on the leading edge of the aluminum hood that was so common. That cost me $700 to have it resprayed.
We had that on the hood of our 2017 Platinum. It never got bad enough that I did anything about it, but it was disappointing. The closest thing I've seen to the roof rust is in cars that have been parked in the sun for years with no paint protection.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I would think you could at least get it fixed enough so that it looks good cosmetically. Not implying that you should try to deceive anyone, but it is going to be a hard sell the way it looks. My 2017 Explorer had bubbles under the paint on the hood and it was fixed under warranty, even though I had over 50K miles on it. Also had an older Fox body Mustang that had paint peeling and first dealer told me to get lost. Went to another dealer and was told that this was a known issue that is covered by Ford. Had the whole car repainted, paid by Ford. You may want to ask another dealer to get their thoughts.

OP
Fuquad

Fuquad

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I would think you could at least get it fixed enough so that it looks good cosmetically. Not implying that you should try to deceive anyone, but it is going to be a hard sell the way it looks. My 2017 Explorer had bubbles under the paint on the hood and it was fixed under warranty, even though I had over 50K miles on it. Also had an older Fox body Mustang that had paint peeling and first dealer told me to get lost. Went to another dealer and was told that this was a known issue that is covered by Ford. Had the whole car repainted, paid by Ford. You may want to ask another dealer to get their thoughts.
We're actually trading it in on the ST with the dealer, so I'm not too worried about being deceitful. This is the first and only vehicle we've ever had this issue with, so in my opinion it's Ford's problem to deal with anyway. They've seen it and are giving us what we wanted in trade.

RLW

Reactions
Looks like the hood of a previous Explorer after I parked it in an airport parking garage during a vacation. Apparently brake fluid or some other corrosive liquid had been dripping on it from the floor above.