Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer Enthusiast ST

Reactions
Sounds like same engine and badges. Less perks.

OP
A

AngelAbby

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
And more importantly, less money. $4,000 less to be exact!

Reactions
Wow a whole $4000, if your spending close to $50000 on a car might as well go big because $4000 really doesn't make much difference.

OP
A

AngelAbby

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
$4,000 might not make much difference to some people, but it can be a huge difference to other people.

Reactions
I live in the South and would get this since I don't need the AWD. $4k is a lot, 7-8%!

Reactions
Per the new order guides, it looks like Motortrend jumped the gun on claiming the Enthusiast ST is RWD. Only the Platinum gets RWD availablity.

The Enthusiast ST simply drops most or all of the 401A package content.

Reactions
Is the Platinum hybrid the system from the Aviator or the one from the Limited?

Blackssr

Reactions
I live in the South and would get this since I don't need the AWD. $4k is a lot, 7-8%!
No AWD= Wheel Spin. AWD is much needed and appreciated with the high performance cars and SUV offered today. My wife has a Trackhawk and I have a Challenger Hellcat. Both tuned to over 800HP. The Trackhawk is AWD and the Challenger is not. The difference is huge. The Trackhawk hooks up every time with ease. The Challenger spins the wheels at 100 mph on the turnpike.

Blackssr

Reactions
$4,000 might not make much difference to some people, but it can be a huge difference to other people.
It is the same price as base ST with no addition options. No sunroof and no wheel package drops 4k. I do not think we needed an entirely new name/model to add more confusion to the buying public.

Reactions
You're ditching a ton of performance ditching the AWD, especially for a PERFORMANCE SUV. The more power to the ground at the same time, the better. That's why you hear a lot of disparity between HP at the flywheel vs wheels. Most car companies will market their cars rated at the flywheel, not the wheels. Marketing..... Otherwise you're twisting up that extra HP in the tranny and driveshaft only putting it down with 2 wheels. If you twist it up too much you'll snap that driveshaft. Usually the first upgrade after a huge power adder (Turbos, blowers, etc.) is a driveshaft upgrade for this very reason lol. Whenever they snap, that shit is LOUD! After I had that happen, I actually always had nightmares that the rear break of the shaft would fall and somehow impale my car right after I launched or something lol.

If you have a tranny brake for launching, that's exactly what they're for, and they're the best way to launch. Sure, with just 2 wheels of power with a RWD, eventually it'll spin that energy out, but meanwhile you just lost 4 car lengths lol. That's exactly why you see AWD cars blow past RWD launching in a race, then you'll see the RWD cars walk back up on the AWD while they spin out that extra driveshaft twisted up energy out to the wheels. Physics in action! Sadly they always catch up after the race is already over lol. I probably shouldn't be educating so much on street/race knowledge...

Last edited:
Reactions
No AWD= Wheel Spin. AWD is much needed and appreciated with the high performance cars and SUV offered today. My wife has a Trackhawk and I have a Challenger Hellcat. Both tuned to over 800HP. The Trackhawk is AWD and the Challenger is not. The difference is huge. The Trackhawk hooks up every time with ease. The Challenger spins the wheels at 100 mph on the turnpike.
Bro..... you should have been around when WRXs first came out and were blowing past modified Z06s as 4 banging turbos lol. Talk about a wake up call.... I had (Well still have, it's sitting at my dad's house) a heavily modified WS6 and I never owned another RWD car again after I lost to an STi lol.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You're ditching a ton of performance ditching the AWD, especially for a PERFORMANCE SUV. The more power to the ground at the same time, the better. That's why you hear a lot of disparity between HP at the flywheel vs wheels. Most car companies will market their cars rated at the flywheel, not the wheels. Marketing..... Otherwise you're twisting up that extra HP in the tranny and driveshaft only putting it down with 2 wheels. If you twist it up too much you'll snap that driveshaft. Usually the first upgrade after a huge power adder (Turbos, blowers, etc.) is a driveshaft upgrade for this very reason lol. Whenever they snap, that shit is LOUD! After I had that happen, I actually always had nightmares that the rear break of the shaft would fall and somehow impale my car right after I launched or something lol.

If you have a tranny brake for launching, that's exactly what they're for, and they're the best way to launch. Sure, with just 2 wheels of power with a RWD, eventually it'll spin that energy out, but meanwhile you just lost 4 car lengths lol. That's exactly why you see AWD cars blow past RWD launching in a race, then you'll see the RWD cars walk back up on the AWD while they spin out that extra driveshaft twisted up energy out to the wheels. Physics in action! Sadly they always catch up after the race is already over lol. I probably shouldn't be educating so much on street/race knowledge...
Gosh, I guess that's why the fastest drag strip cars in the world (funnies, top fuel, pro stock, etc) all run AWD! LOL

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Bro..... you should have been around when WRXs first came out and were blowing past modified Z06s as 4 banging turbos lol. Talk about a wake up call.... I had (Well still have, it's sitting at my dad's house) a heavily modified WS6 and I never owned another RWD car again after I lost to an STi lol.
I owned 2 STIs A 1994 Impreza L wagon with a Japanese version 7 drivetrain transplant (courtesy LaChute Subaru), and a 2006 STI. Both of those would run low 13s in the 1/4. Unless heavily modified, they are not going to pull on a modified Z06. Unless you're in the rain!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Gosh, I guess that's why the fastest drag strip cars in the world (funnies, top fuel, pro stock, etc) all run AWD! LOL
AWD rules the streets...period.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
When you bolt a set of 36” tall 17.5” wide set of wrinkle walls under the 2WD version then there is something to talk about.