Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Explorer deleting second row climate controls

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Crazy. I read the heated seats in the second are also being removed temporarily. The latter is supposedly going to be added back in at a later date. They should be doing that for the hvac controls as well.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I hope that customers know this at time of order. I'd hate to have a build already placed and find out they deleted the controls for a measly $100 credit.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #4
I can guess that getting the seat heat controls added later will cost the owner money since Ford applies a hundred dollar credit for deleting them.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Damn, the more I hear about order issues the more I think I should play the lotto. Received at 9 weeks after order(3/5) and complete. Even better I have found no issues in the first 1K miles.

It is puzzling to me how Ford is trying to handle this.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Damn, the more I hear about order issues the more I think I should play the lotto. Received at 9 weeks after order(3/5) and complete. Even better I have found no issues in the first 1K miles.

It is puzzling to me how Ford is trying to handle this.
All manufacturers are doing this. Not just ford. But their compensation is comical.

Reactions
My understanding with GM is that the missing equipment will be added free of charge when parts are available... Whenever that may be. The credit is just a "sorry for the inconvenience" thing.

That said, this is a pretty major deletion on a family suv. I'm guessing you can still control the 3rd zone from the front screen?

II feel like they should have figured out a way to save chips from the 10" screen or the digital cluster over something like this.

OP
K
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Thread Starter #8
My understanding with GM is that the missing equipment will be added free of charge when parts are available... Whenever that may be. The credit is just a "sorry for the inconvenience" thing.

That said, this is a pretty major deletion on a family suv. I'm guessing you can still control the 3rd zone from the front screen?

II feel like they should have figured out a way to save chips from the 10" screen or the digital cluster over something like this.
Yes, the article said you could still control the third zone from the front. It also gave the impression that only the heated seat controls would be added later. If so then I assume a special panel would be created for just those buttons.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions

I agree. The hvac removal is unacceptable imo for a family suv. There are definitely other areas I would think. But who knows. I’m sure they weighed out all the options. Their credit is a joke.

Reactions
Yes, the article said you could still control the third zone from the front. It also gave the impression that only the heated seat controls would be added later. If so then I assume a special panel would be created for just those buttons.
Honestly, full on deletion is totally unacceptable. In my situation, I could be OK with a delayed install, we've got a little guy who wouldn't be changing the temperature for several years. So even if it took 24 months for the parts to be available, I could live with it. But not having ever unless I went out of my way to retrofit it? Not OK on a 50k plus vehicle.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Honestly, full on deletion is totally unacceptable. In my situation, I could be OK with a delayed install, we've got a little guy who wouldn't be changing the temperature for several years. So even if it took 24 months for the parts to be available, I could live with it. But not having ever unless I went out of my way to retrofit it? Not OK on a 50k plus vehicle.
Exactly. When families find this out, they will 100% move on to the next vehicle. Ford better hope this is short lived. Honestly I think we all have that same feeling.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The article is pretty clear: The rear climate control panel (which includes the buttons for the seat heaters) will be placed back in the car when the chips are available. The same panel all of our cars have. It sucks but Ford has to get creative and this solution at least gets cars out the door to customers and can easily be fixed at a later time.

Anyone here who has a job that deals with materials/parts procurement understands these delays are across all industries, and even having multiple sources for materials isn't enough right now.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just read an article this morning that said BMW and GM are doing it also.

Reactions
The article is pretty clear: The rear climate control panel (which includes the buttons for the seat heaters) will be placed back in the car when the chips are available. The same panel all of our cars have. It sucks but Ford has to get creative and this solution at least gets cars out the door to customers and can easily be fixed at a later time.

Anyone here who has a job that deals with materials/parts procurement understands these delays are across all industries, and even having multiple sources for materials isn't enough right now.
Trying to explain to supply chain and execs about secondary sources for chips is a mind numbing futile exercise..... Wut you mean there are only a handful of fab plants GLOBALLY that make wafers just find another supplier...... When digikey and mouser are ot of capacitors shit hit the fan a long time ago......

Reactions
Trying to explain to supply chain and execs about secondary sources for chips is a mind numbing futile exercise..... Wut you mean there are only a handful of fab plants GLOBALLY that make wafers just find another supplier...... When digikey and mouser are ot of capacitors shit hit the fan a long time ago......
The bigger problem is "we just sole sourced this supplier because they were 5% cheaper". You tell them their lead times are 52 weeks and they have a 50% yield and they just say "work with the supplier to pull that delivery time in".

This whole cluster has been decades in the making and the people running the companies and the financial markets were too greedy to care. Good thing the fed propped up all their investments so their mess didn't hurt their pocketbooks... Would hate for them to not get a new yacht this year.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I'm glad I got a 21

22ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm not a happy camper after hearing this. Can anyone confirm that the dealers will replace these controls at a later date.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The bigger problem is "we just sole sourced this supplier because they were 5% cheaper". You tell them their lead times are 52 weeks and they have a 50% yield and they just say "work with the supplier to pull that delivery time in".
Hahahaha! I've heard this several times since these supply chain shenanigans started.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Got my 22 just in time it seems. However, I could do without some of the options, which is why I ordered mine with the 400a package. As long as it has the twin turbo HO motor and the larger wheels and tires/brakes I'm good with it.
I'm still living in the old fox body ford days anyway! At a sticker of only 51,500 with delivery, I still think it was a good buy for what you get.