Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust system.

Reactions
Has anyone change to a Corsa or Borla system. Looking for advice on what to get.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Pick the sound you like. Any performance gains will be somewhere around zero.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Had Borla S-type installed and absolutely love it. Highly recommend it!

Reactions
Pick the sound you like. Any performance gains will be somewhere around zero.
^This. Search the web - there are LOTS of clips out there for any kit you choose.

Otherwise, they just will essentially drain your wallet if you are simply looking to change the sound. If you want to do it economically, have a custom shop just swap out the mufflers - that is where most of the sound reduction comes from. There are also axle-back kits out there from MRT, MBRP, and a new one from Gibson that cost about half of many full kits.

Reactions
Just put the Borla S Type system. No Down Pipes. When just cruising it is to loud.
That's a bummer if you're not digging it. Everyone has their own taste when it comes to exhaust. I personally was a fan of the Thermal R&D exhaust, but will instead be going with aFe's system when it comes out. I hope you grow to love your new exhaust. I went through some teething issues with exhausts on past cars.

OP
Mufasa
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
That's a bummer if you're not digging it. Everyone has their own taste when it comes to exhaust. I personally was a fan of the Thermal R&D exhaust, but will instead be going with aFe's system when it comes out. I hope you grow to love your new exhaust. I went through some teething issues with exhausts on past cars.
I do like the Borla system. Was just asking if was to loud when just cruising. What is the aFe’s system?

Reactions
I do like the Borla system. Was just asking if was to loud when just cruising. What is the aFe’s system?
I'm sorry, I misread your message. That's definitely a good question to ask. Everyone's ear is different and what may sound good to some and not drone to them, may be something you don't like. I have been working with aFe letting them use my ST for their R&D process for different things. They're coming out with a catback system (in the new year) that I happen to really like. I was originally going to put the Thermal R&D exhaust on, which is why I'm selling it now, because that is another great system. Just remember that exhaust sounds are personal preferences. What someone may love, others may hate. For me, I'm happy to wait on aFe getting their exhaust out because I was their test vehicle and got to sample it for a bit. I got to run it through it's paces and for my driving it works out perfect with no drone and I like the sound. Others may think differently, again going back to personal preference. Good luck with whatever choice you go with and there are some amazing people on this site who have been extremely helpful with their inputs for me at least. With exhaust, what will matter most is if YOU like it.

OP
Mufasa
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I'm sorry, I misread your message. That's definitely a good question to ask. Everyone's ear is different and what may sound good to some and not drone to them, may be something you don't like. I have been working with aFe letting them use my ST for their R&D process for different things. They're coming out with a catback system (in the new year) that I happen to really like. I was originally going to put the Thermal R&D exhaust on, which is why I'm selling it now, because that is another great system. Just remember that exhaust sounds are personal preferences. What someone may love, others may hate. For me, I'm happy to wait on aFe getting their exhaust out because I was their test vehicle and got to sample it for a bit. I got to run it through it's paces and for my driving it works out perfect with no drone and I like the sound. Others may think differently, again going back to personal preference. Good luck with whatever choice you go with and there are some amazing people on this site who have been extremely helpful with their inputs for me at least. With exhaust, what will matter most is if YOU like it.
Thanks for answering my questions. I would like to hear the system you are talking about.Timing would be good because my Explorer will be here in about 2 weeks so I can wait and hear it.

Reactions
Thanks for answering my questions. I would like to hear the system you are talking about.Timing would be good because my Explorer will be here in about 2 weeks so I can wait and hear it.
Check out Woosh Motorsports. Ron is a great guy to deal with and you can see a bunch of the systems that he sells. I believe some have links to hear the different sounds. As far as the aFe system goes, they're supposed to be posting some videos on their site soon. I posted a couple of clips of their exhaust in another post on this site, but I'm not the most tech savvy and they are large files. I hope this helps a little.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Try this compilation of ST exhaust sounds.

Reactions
The axle-back kits are the best bang for the buck since it’s all about sound with very little gain in performance. Check out MRT, MBRP, and Gibson.

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
The sound of a Turbo v6 just not dose it for me. used to v8s or power strokes.

but those fake tips on that back just offend my soul. they must be changed lol

Reactions
I had recently purchased the borla atak cat back and wasnt a fan of the sound. I ended up putting my stock Exhaust back on going to swap my tips to get the look im after. Ill sometime in near future possibly post my kit for sale.

Reactions
I am waiting for the dealership to get the parts in to fix the rattling stock exhaust - they said there were some cracked welds on the cats. Debating on going cat back or axle back - axle back is way cheaper, any downsides to going with axle back?

Reactions
I think the Borla has the best sound, Corsa is w/o drone and I was going to buy that till I read about the thermal, no drone, and just loud enough