Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust Recall?

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Saw this on CarFax after receiving an email "warning". I checked the NTSB site and there's no mention, and when I plugged my VIN into the recall checker on the Ford Owner site it came up indicated "None." Anyone familiar with this?

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 4.45.18 PM.png

I'm curious because I've been noticing a very faint "chugging" sound on acceleration at times and I was wondering if this might cause something like that.

Cheers

Ken

Reactions
Hi,

I just received a recall notice for my 2020 ST (made in September 2020) for a possible crack in the left-hand catalytic converter. An emissions issue. No real safety concern.

Hope this helps,

Ron

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Got the same Carfax message. I'm going to wait until I get notified of a recall via Ford Pass. Their past recalls never affected my build date and I never got a recall notice on Ford Pass.

hbalek

Reactions
Got the same Carfax message. I'm going to wait until I get notified of a recall via Ford Pass. Their past recalls never affected my build date and I never got a recall notice on Ford Pass.
Same here to all of the above!

Reactions
I received a paper copy of this recall from Ford.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I guess this would be the correct thread to post on this. My 2020 had been rattling on startup and while driving for awhile, I looked at the flex couplings and the passenger side had broken, I think it was partly due to the hose clamp put on to stop the rattling. I took it to an exhaust shop, they put a woven flex coupling on and informed me my Drivers side Cat was starting to crack. I looked at it when I got home and sure enough it is cracked at the top side flange weld. Scheduled replacement with the dealership, no big deal…. This was 2 weeks ago…. This past Saturday I changed the oil and noticed the drivers side Cat mounting bracket weld has broken off and rattles like crazy, I looked all over the passenger side and looks solid. I dropped it off today to have the cat and the intermediate pipes replaced, received a call from dealer that drivers side is all done but have to replace the passenger side Cat due to a crack and will be completed tomorrow. Thank god for warranty! Pics are attached if anyone needs a visual reference on where cracks could be occurring. The pics are only of the drivers side cat, top flange weld crack and the lower mounting bracket. 8992D9FA-B95D-4DA9-AE7E-874191F62655.jpeg D5DB165C-4F3C-4785-8530-FF33642C5483.jpeg 961EA5B3-5C4B-4280-B5A3-AD40B4F5B6BC.jpeg

hbalek

Reactions
I guess this would be the correct thread to post on this. My 2020 had been rattling on startup and while driving for awhile, I looked at the flex couplings and the passenger side had broken, I think it was partly due to the hose clamp put on to stop the rattling. I took it to an exhaust shop, they put a woven flex coupling on and informed me my Drivers side Cat was starting to crack. I looked at it when I got home and sure enough it is cracked at the top side flange weld. Scheduled replacement with the dealership, no big deal…. This was 2 weeks ago…. This past Saturday I changed the oil and noticed the drivers side Cat mounting bracket weld has broken off and rattles like crazy, I looked all over the passenger side and looks solid. I dropped it off today to have the cat and the intermediate pipes replaced, received a call from dealer that drivers side is all done but have to replace the passenger side Cat due to a crack and will be completed tomorrow. Thank god for warranty! Pics are attached if anyone needs a visual reference on where cracks could be occurring. The pics are only of the drivers side cat, top flange weld crack and the lower mounting bracket. View attachment 8414 View attachment 8415 View attachment 8416
I suspect I have the same problem with mine. Which would explain not only the rattling noise but also the exhaust fume smell.

Reactions
Hi,

I just received a recall notice for my 2020 ST (made in September 2020) for a possible crack in the left-hand catalytic converter. An emissions issue. No real safety concern.

Hope this helps,

Ron
Got the same report from the dealer today while they were performing the recall for the rear view camera. Dealer reports that parts are not available.

Reactions
Nov 15 2021 3498 - Announcing - Emission Recall 21E11 - Full Bulletin

NEW VEHICLE / DELIVERY HOLD - Emission Recall 21E11 - Certain 2020-2021 Explorer ST and Police Interceptor Vehicles Equipped with a 3.0L EcoBoost Engine - Left-Hand Catalytic Converter Replacement and Powertrain Control Module Reprogram. Refer to FMCdealer.com for additional information.

Reactions
Got the same report from the dealer today while they were performing the recall for the rear view camera. Dealer reports that parts are not available.
I work as a technician at Ford, I recently replaced a left cat. converter on a 2020 with 58k miles because of this cracked weld at the inlet flange. The leak was very audible even just at idle. The “recall” parts are assumed to not be available until after the owners letters are mailed out which is February 2022 last I heard. Anyway, the faulty parts can still be replaced under warranty. I will say the welds looked much more robust on the replacement pipe. Not sure if it was the actual updated part or not. Even though this is labeled as an emissions related recall, it actually is very safety oriented because the risk of exhaust fumes entering the cabin!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Good Info Thanks

Reactions
Just got back from NC with the exhaust pipe behind the right side muffler hanging down about 2 inches. Totally broken off. On a vehicle that's 2 years old. Covered under warranty of course and I had to take it in for the backup camera anyway. Both issues did not qualify for a loaner. Had to order exhaust pipe and muffler. Parts 2 week out. Still no loaner. Also need to replace both catalytic converters. They have no idea when those parts will be in. Pretty much a shit show.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
They just replaced the converter on mine/ It was about a week wait for the part.

hbalek

Reactions
They just replaced the converter on mine/ It was about a week wait for the part.
Finally had them check and they ordered my left catalytic converter replacement. Crossing my fingers on this one!