Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust ......Need Opinions

Reactions
Hello, I was looking into a catback system. While I like the way the magna flow sounds, I have read a lot of people say it has a really bad drone. I would like something the does come with the Black tips and does not have a raspy sound to it. From all the video clips I have heard (which is still hard to tell) , I find I prefer the Corsa system. Anyone have opinions or regrets on the Corsa, Borla, or Thermal systems?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Out of those Thermal is the only system that’s truly cat-back. The others are mid-pipe back. Thermal is the only real option IMHO.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, for the reply. Are the tips on that system powder coated? or are the black chrome? Cant really find any good pics. Also I was looking into replacing the Air filter with the aFe pro dry...any opinions on that? Is the whoosh-motorsports reliable for placing a order for that exhaust system?

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I have an aFe pro dry and it seems great. Basically just another AEM clone type filter. Not much to write home about really.

I also have the Borla S-type and I frankly love it. I cannot speak for the ATAK. I also live in California so I needed the more subdued S-type to pass emissions decibel test (gotta love California). The Borla system sounds great at idle to my ears. As many others on here have said, it doesn't really drone but is definitely noticeable throughout the rpm curve. Nice little pops on downshifts and far more growl to it compared to stock. Plus the tips are larger than stock and are ACTUALLY exhaust tips and not fake ornaments on turned down pipes.

Edit: My system has the chrome tips and I love em. Might have done the carbon fiber tips if i could do it all over again but I don't regret the chrome.

Reactions
I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but how do they sound at highway speed? Is it louder in the cabin or no change? Only outside or when you get on it WFO?

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
As I said, they sound great throughout the powerband. No drone at any gear from inside the cabin. It is SLIGHTLY louder in the cabin but the note is so much more pleasing than stock that it's hard to imagine anyone prefering the stock system's characteristics. At idle it sounds great but it's not loud. Mash on the gas and yeah, you'll turn a head or two.

balkda2

Reactions
Just installed the Borla Stype today. Love the burbles! Very quiet at idle inside, no drone noticeable. Loudness is subjective, so to me, it is moderately loud at WOT but quiet when cruising. Its enough to get my exhaust fix, but not enough to piss off the neighbors or the wife.

Crappy videos below

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Just installed the Borla Stype today. Love the burbles! Very quiet at idle inside, no drone noticeable. Loudness is subjective, so to me, it is moderately loud at WOT but quiet when cruising. Its enough to get my exhaust fix, but not enough to piss off the neighbors or the wife.

Crappy videos below

Exactly

Reactions
The Thermal system is the best on the market in my view.

Here is my video of the sound:

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Sounds bad-ass but honestly I don't notice a massive difference between that and my S-type (from your video and my laptop speakers though ha). Definitely seems to sound a bit better though than the Borla!

Reactions
Sounds bad-ass but honestly I don't notice a massive difference between that and my S-type (from your video and my laptop speakers though ha). Definitely seems to sound a bit better though than the Borla!
Oh, it's definitely not stupid loud.

Let's put it this way. It puts a smile on my face and doesn't put a frown on my wife's face. We completed a round trip from NJ to South Florida a couple of weeks ago. Zero (and I mean zero) complaints from the wife. Yet when I got on it, I had a definite smile.

MonkeysWashingCats

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Oh, it's definitely not stupid loud.

Let's put it this way. It puts a smile on my face and doesn't put a frown on my wife's face. We completed a round trip from NJ to South Florida a couple of weeks ago. Zero (and I mean zero) complaints from the wife. Yet when I got on it, I had a definite smile.
My lady's all about the grunts and growls. I'm trying to build her a washing machine on wheels that can do a mid 12 1/4 mile :sneaky:

Reactions
Out of those Thermal is the only system that’s truly cat-back. The others are mid-pipe back. Thermal is the only real option IMHO.
Are there any videos with sound here that I can listen to? It would be nice if the exhaust sounded the same outside as it does inside :)

F=MA

Reactions
Had the Borla S Type originally before they came out with the Magnaflow. While I originally loved the black tipped Borla S I preferred the look and sound of the Magnaflow even more. The drone is a pain so I just put in manual mode and shift down to 8th gear to get rid of it on the road. IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_6886.JPG

balkda2

Reactions
Another vote for Borla Stype. had it for 4 or so months. It is a bit louder now after it broke in. The video was from the day I put it on.

Reactions
I thought the S-type was supposed to be louder than the ATAK?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I thought the S-type was supposed to be louder than the ATAK?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Nah. Other way around. My ATAK with downpipes and x-pipe instead of mid-muffler is so friggin loud I had to install sound deadening in the hatch area in order to be able to have a conversation with someone while under acceleration. cruising speed she was quiet, but above 3k??? good lord she be loud.