Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Exhaust advice

scsteve

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I am looking for exhaust advice for my new 2022 ST.
Borla has alot of info on their website and i am thinking the S type might work for me.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Black stainless tips look sharp!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just had Gibson installed. Love it. Not too loud but definitely there. Honestly would not want it any louder.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder

Zim

Reactions
I’ll be switching to thermal. I did an axle back and I liked it at first but now I hate it.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ll be switching to thermal. I did an axle back and I liked it at first but now I hate it.
Curious what did you hate?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I love my MBRP setup. At the end of the day its what do you like. There's so many opinions out there on this! Lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Gibson Axle Back Exhaust - I just didn't feel like spending over $1.5k to just change the sound when the Gibson Axle Back does this for me for under $400 (at the time I bought mine with the deal going on). Rather use the rest of that money towards a Whipple IC, Steeda Rear Sway Bar and other things.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I am looking for exhaust advice for my new 2022 ST.
Borla has alot of info on their website and i am thinking the S type might work for me.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Black stainless tips look sharp!
The Borla S-Type has been on the ST for a few months now and I'll give it a 8/10. Fitment was easy and has a great aggressive tone under WOT. Absolutely no drone at cruising speed no matter what speed it is. The only thing is that it is a little raspy under normal acceleration. For the last point I may switch to a valved mufflers and keep them closed for day-to-day driving and then open them up when my foot gains weight. Pretty much all 2.5" systems will have he same tone with the only variation being how loud it is. Stay away from a center resonator delete unless you like drone. Going with a custom 3" is the only way you will deepen the tone of your ST.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am running the Borla S-Type as well and love it! Completely agree with Cajun Heat only I would give it a 9/10…

Reactions
Thermal because you will want to replace the OEM flex sections. Talk to Tyler at Lethal Performance. Thermal is a true cat-back and stainless steel construction. It sounds great, especially with FenFab downpipes!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I like my Borla Type S - Agree with everything Cajun Heat said. Sounds great. A bit louder than I expected during normal acceleration. Looking into resonators to see if that will help with the raspy normal acceleration part.
Sounds fantastic when idling at a stand still.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I like my Borla Type S - Agree with everything Cajun Heat said. Sounds great. A bit louder than I expected during normal acceleration. Looking into resonators to see if that will help with the raspy normal acceleration part.
Let me know if you add some resonators in as that is another option I was thinking about. Been looking at these. https://www.holley.com/products/exh...glass_pack_mufflers/flowfx_series/parts/71416

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Let me know if you add some resonators in as that is another option I was thinking about. Been looking at these. https://www.holley.com/products/exh...glass_pack_mufflers/flowfx_series/parts/71416
Hi Cajun - I've been taking my Q's from Unbroken who recommends the J Type resonators that apparently completely remove drone. Now I'm digging around to see if it will help with the raspy we get under normal acceleration with our Borla systems. I haven't found anyone who has installed them yet to know. Plan on talking with my local muffler shop and see what they recommend. I'll circle back with anything i'm able to find.

F=MA

Reactions
I have had the OEM, Borla S-Type, Magnaflow and now Thermal R&D. Borla S-Type is a partial system that leave you with the crappy OEM midpipes and 2.25 inch exhaust all the way. Magnaflow has a drone around 2000 rpm and is a lower grade stainless steel that rusts easier. It is 2.5 inch full system and I do love the black chrome exhaust tips. Thermal is a 2.5 inch full system of better quality stainless steel with no drone but still sounds nice when you punch it. I did not like the Thermal exhaust tips as they look short and incomplete from certian angles. I replaced the Thermal tips with Hot Rod Scott's (Ontario) custom black and carbon fiber 4 inch quad tips which fit tighter to the bumber like the Borla S-Type. I went with a old U- clamp for the tips as the Thermal exhaust tip clamp kept slipping off.
IMG_4821.JPG IMG_2290.JPG
IMG_6435x.jpg
IMG_9848.png
IMG_3721.JPG

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey Cajun - Check this out. Super helpful - Even includes a spreadsheet to calculate how long to make the J Pipe or Quarterwave resonator. Use a soundwave analyser app on your phone while driving to see what frequency is causing the issue and build the J Pipe to size to manage that frequency. Its more complicated than I was hoping for but until I stumble across somone who has done this with our ST and the borla S Type I'm not sure what the options are.
https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/killing-drone

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey Cajun - Check this out. Super helpful - Even includes a spreadsheet to calculate how long to make the J Pipe or Quarterwave resonator. Use a soundwave analyser app on your phone while driving to see what frequency is causing the issue and build the J Pipe to size to manage that frequency. Its more complicated than I was hoping for but until I stumble across somone who has done this with our ST and the borla S Type I'm not sure what the options are.
https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/killing-drone
That's hilarious!! I just spent the last 25 minutes looking at the same thing but on a different site. Thank you.

F=MA

Reactions
I have a pair of NOS Magnaflow mini mufflers available. See For Sale section.

Zim

Reactions
Curious what did you hate?
I liked it at first but the rattle from the flex pipes and the half ass sound unless you’re punching it. Very annoying to me lol.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I liked it at first but the rattle from the flex pipes and the half ass sound unless you’re punching it. Very annoying to me lol.
Guerss you're one of those guys that likes their ST loud all the time haha fair enough. I love my Gibson Axle Back, don't need my ST loud at all times.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah I’m not getting that. Mine is actually pretty loud when I gun it or even just cruising. Not annoyingly loud, but I 100% hear it. It’s the sweet spot. Understand the rattle part. I don’t have that issue on my 22 and hopefully won’t.