Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

EVAP code

John B

Reactions
Every time I fill up my tank with gas my ST goes into “panic” mode! First off when I put the fuel nozzle in (no matter what level is already in the tank) there is a “puff” of vapors that is released. I then fill my tank and the car usually stalls (or if it is not running) doesn’t restart. I have to pump the pedal several times and prime the crap out of the engine to stay running. It runs fine once I get it primed and humming. Randomly it throws the EVAP code (which I clear with my OBD). Overall it runs ok but I do not want to go to dealer if this can be a simple fix. I purchased the EVAP purge valve (no diagrams online to show where it is) figuring that would rid the code and maybe the problem. Any ideas where it’s located (some say next to throttle body, some links say underneath…)?? Don’t think it’s fuel filter. Any and all help welcome. Thank you in advance.

JB

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There were a few posters who had problems with venting on the gas tank leading to blowback. There may even have been a recall. That's a possibility. As far as "pump the pedal" to "get it primed", that is just your imagination. It doesn't work that way, the pedal isn't hooked to an accelerator pump (like on a carb), in fact it's only connected electrically to the ECU. It's throwing an EVAP code and you need to have it serviced.

However, if you're determined to service it yourself, here's a link to all the components and diagnosis of the problem. Good luck:
https://www.liaviator2.com/lincoln_aviator_evaporative_emissions_3_0l_ecoboost-2690.html

Reactions
I had the same issue and had to take it in for service. There's an evaporative exhaust valve that went bad on mine and they had to replace it. It was covered under the extended warranty I bought but when I asked if I could have fixed it myself they told me it was not likely I had the skill or knowledge to do it. No clue as I'm handy but not a knowledgeable mechanic.

OP
J

John B

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
There were a few posters who had problems with venting on the gas tank leading to blowback. There may even have been a recall. That's a possibility. As far as "pump the pedal" to "get it primed", that is just your imagination. It doesn't work that way, the pedal isn't hooked to an accelerator pump (like on a carb), in fact it's only connected electrically to the ECU. It's throwing an EVAP code and you need to have it serviced.

However, if you're determined to service it yourself, here's a link to all the components and diagnosis of the problem. Good luck:
https://www.liaviator2.com/lincoln_aviator_evaporative_emissions_3_0l_ecoboost-2690.html
Thanks for your help and post. Found it!! 2 of the 4 connections are very accessible…need some small hands with the other 2.

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I don't think the evap purge valve is going to fix your issue. The purge valve is normally closed and the pcm turns it on to draw vapors from the fuel tank. If it were stuck open it would not allow pressure to build inside of the fuel tank and therefore you would not hear air pressure releasing when you put the fuel pump nozzle in. It sounds like you either have an evap canister vent valve that is stuck in the closed position or a plugged evap vent filter.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Damn and I though I hated going to the dealer. LOL you win that battle. Good luck but take it to the dealer you paid good money for you car have them make it right.

Reactions
I had the same issue and had to take it in for service. There's an evaporative exhaust valve that went bad on mine and they had to replace it. It was covered under the extended warranty I bought but when I asked if I could have fixed it myself they told me it was not likely I had the skill or knowledge to do it. No clue as I'm handy but not a knowledgeable mechanic.
What dealer covered it under your extended warranty? Ford in La Mesa, San Diego said its not covered.

Reactions
What dealer covered it under your extended warranty? Ford in La Mesa, San Diego said its not covered.
Wade Ford in Smyrna, GA. I bought the EasyCare though when I got the vehicle. First year of a redesign had me spooked. Turned out to be a good decision. It's already paid for itself.

Reactions
I also purchased the warranty for the same amount through my dealer at the behest of a trusted mechanic here.

Reactions
I also purchased the warranty for the same amount through my dealer at the behest of a trusted mechanic here.
Well that doesn’t seem right. My understanding of the process was that it didn’t have anything to do with the dealer, rather the warranty company had to approve it.

Reactions
I received a call from Ford today to try and resolve the issue out of court. I'll let you know what happens.

OP
J

John B

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Just thought I would update my initial post regarding the EVAP issue I was having. Here is the OBD reading - was P0496 code showing issue with purge valve circuit. When you put this in search engine the canister purge valve part shows up. As stated earlier 2 of the 4 connections are very accessible while the other 2 in the back were a bit more challenging. I ended up removing 4 bolts (red arrows on pic below) that secured heating lines and was able to access the 2 other connections towards the back. All in all was not too difficult and was done in about 35 minutes.

Attachments

Last edited: