Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ethanol testing

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Does anyone test their ethanol fuel? I just got an E50 tune for my edge sport (I know this is an Explorer forum, but the edge forums don't have as much traffic or as many people using ethanol tunes) and the pump I used said the ethanol content was anywhere from 51-87%, but it is marked as E85. How does everyone else running E tunes handle this?

Reactions
Ethanol tester
Fill up the line line and give it a shake. The gas will settle on top and give you a percentage reading. FD73F9E6-A76D-41F6-9C56-FBD66FEA3142.jpeg

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Yea I've seen some of those but do you test at every fill up? I mean really the test is only good until they receive their next shipment and it's not what I would consider to be a quick test. if you're sitting around waiting at a fuel pump to see how much ethanol is in it

Reactions
My explanation was poor lol. There’s a water fill line and an ethanol fill line... then you shake it up... sorry

Reactions
if you fill up at the same station check every few tanks. It should be pretty consistent as the station probably buys from the same supplier

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
No I already understand how they work, I just didn't know if there was a faster or better idea. But it seems this is the easiest method of doing so. Is you ethanol rating generally close to what it is labeled?

Reactions
Yes so far when I have bought ethanol it was close to 85. This tester works great and it was cheap.

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Fair enough. initially I was against using it but I'll probably buy one as cheap insurance.

Do you usually pump the fuel directly into the thing or do you get it out of the fuel tank somehow?

Reactions
I think it’s more of a piece of mind thing. I tested my fuel a few times... I was always wondering if it was actually 85 I was buying. I felt better after testing.

Reactions
1605884160883.png

I use a Fuel-It bluetooth ethanol analyzer.

Reactions
Hey Theo I saw your dyno results. That’s unreal lol. Cr is shipping me my stage 5 turbos next week
Adam is a champ

Reactions
Theo what kit do I buy??? Looks like there’s a part that mounts to the fuel line

thanks

Reactions
Theo what kit do I buy??? Looks like there’s a part that mounts to the fuel line

thanks
Hey man, thanks!

I used this kit:
https://www.fuel-it.com/bluetooth-flex-fuel-analyzer/

Tee off to the low pressure fuel line going to the HPFP, add power, and it's done. I also test the ethanol content on the E85 I buy then do the math to see if the gauge is accurate; it always reads a little lower.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Hey man, thanks!

I used this kit:
https://www.fuel-it.com/bluetooth-flex-fuel-analyzer/

Tee off to the low pressure fuel line going to the HPFP, add power, and it's done. I also test the ethanol content on the E85 I buy then do the math to see if the gauge is accurate; it always reads a little lower.
It will always read a little lower. The sensor actually does not detect Ethanol, it detects the lack of Gasoline. So additives in both the E85 and Gasoline, will make the measurement slightly lower.

The measurement with the bottle if done correctly is definitely the most accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bones

Reactions
Does anyone know which of these part numbers I need to add to the Fuel-it kit? Thanks!

Explorer ST Posts