Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Electric Brake Controller (Curt Echo)

Reactions
Hi,

I tried to setup my new mobile brake controller by Curt. I have never had a trailer with electric brakes before and I have three vehicles that I will use to tow the trailer. This controller is movable to any vehicle as it plugs into the trailer 7-way plug and then you plug the trailer connector into it. Anyways, I tried it on my pickup and it gave me an error code, so I spent some time cleaning the truck connector. Still have an error code, so I thought I would try the ST. Plugged it in and no power from the ST. Got out the meter and there appears to be no power coming from the "+" vehicle circuit. The other circuits work (lights and turn signals). Has anyone else had an issue with the 12 volt powet circuit not working from the trailer 7-way circuit. I tried putting it in tow/haul mode too, just to make sure, but still not power. All the fuses look good.

Any ideas? (And yes I know, I should have gotten a wired controller. My buddy will already tell me he told me so.)

Thanks,

Ron

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you try connecting the trailer to it? Some new vehicles require the trailer be connected to activate the 12V power wire.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Hi Dale,

That is part of the problem. You need to plug in the controller, connect to the controller via bluetooth and and then plug in the trailer to the controller. How would you check for power once the trailer connector is plugged in? I guess I could see if it is charging the little breakaway battery or not.

Thanks,

Ron

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hey Ron, I took that info from the instructions for the controller. They mention some Ford pickups that do that and I'm guessing the Explorer might to. If I remember right, I checked the 7 wire on mine with a test light and I didn't find a hot wire on it. Check page 1 of the instructions and you will see where they say you may need to connect the trailer to make it work. Hope that does the trick, for you.

Reactions
I have read that with many Fords, the ignition needs to be on (not necessarily actually running) and the car needs to be in Tow/Haul mode or Trailer mode, whatever it’s called.

Not sure it this is your problem but worth a try.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Hi Dale,

Thanks for your help. I tried connecting the trailer through the controller and while the trailer lights worked, the unit would not power up. I guess it is going to go back via Amazon and I will order up a couple of wired controllers.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I have read that with many Fords, the ignition needs to be on (not necessarily actually running) and the car needs to be in Tow/Haul mode or Trailer mode, whatever it’s called.

Not sure it this is your problem but worth a try.
Hi,

I had the vehicle running and in tow/haul mode. I guess the unit is just not compatible with the ST. I could not get it to work with my Sierra either. It will hopefully go back to Amazon and I will order a couple of wired controllers instead.

Thanks,

Ron

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you try calling Curt about it? I think they are closed now.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Hi Dale,

If it worked with one of my vehicles from the onset, I may have made an effort to work with it. Reading up on it as you suggested, led me to believe that I would need to install a power line for the controller which kind of defeated the purpose of a wireless controller. I will go with a wired proportional controller that I can move from vehicle to vehicle, if needed.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Ron

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
That may a better solution but I only suggested calling Curt as it sounds like their customer service is pretty good. Down side is I did not find a way to call them until Monday and not sure if that meets your needs. Good luck with it.

Dale

Jeff98

Reactions
I was having the same issue with My 2021 Explorer ST. Turns out the vehicle needs to be in Drive to have power to the 12 volt... Thanks to AJ Trailers in Harrisburg for the information.

I connected the Curt Echo to the 7 Pin, connected the Trailer to the Curt Echo, got in the Explorer, put it in gear and connection was quick and painless.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Thank you very much for the info. I went with a Curt wired version and will move the controller from vehicle to vehicle as required, but it will mainly stay in the pickup. The ST is now wired for it, but hidden away when not needed. Cheers.