Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ECU master reset!

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
So we pick up our ST from the dealer this evening and my wife calls me while driving and says WTF it’s slow now. It came in because I had a bad LED in the cup holder and the main screen kept freezing. So they performed a master ECU reboot!! I called them and they said the transmission and all the different modes need to relearn themselves and calibrate over time... and can take up to 300 miles. Has anyone heard of this. They mentioned Ford has the ability to reset without learning but dealers do not.

I’ve done a few cycles and the power seems to be slowing coming back. But damn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Did you have a tune before? Are you saying that they wiped your tune and reverted the vehicle back to stock?

When the vehicle is brand new, the ECU throttles it for the first 500 miles so you can break in the engine... does the ECU now think the vehicle is brand new? If they did that, that means it would have wiped EVERYTHING... thats crazy. I had no idea they could do that...

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Did you have a tune before? Are you saying that they wiped your tune and reverted the vehicle back to stock?

When the vehicle is brand new, the ECU throttles it for the first 500 miles so you can break in the engine... does the ECU now think the vehicle is brand new? If they did that, that means it would have wiped EVERYTHING... thats crazy. I had no idea they could do that...
No tune but yup back to a brand new out of the box. Wiped everything.

Papy_Yosh

Reactions
That is interesting, I have heard of resetting the ECU by just unplugging the battery and making the + and - cables touch each other bypassing the battery. I know that it resets the transmission and other control units, and that you have to give a 30 miles or so for the system to relearn the baseline. I never had the issue of having the car(s) to go back to the original 500 miles limitation.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
...When the vehicle is brand new, the ECU throttles it for the first 500 miles so you can break in the engine...

This statement ^^^^ is 100% false. BMW does this, but no USA OEM has every stooped to such tactics. Of course, BMWs attract real brainless douchebags, so likely justified.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
That is interesting, I have heard of resetting the ECU by just unplugging the battery and making the + and - cables touch each other bypassing the battery. I know that it resets the transmission and other control units, and that you have to give a 30 miles or so for the system to relearn the baseline. I never had the issue of having the car(s) to go back to the original 500 miles limitation.
It only lasted for about 100 miles then the throttle response and power was back to normal. They could have just reset the screen through the monitor which I should have tried myself. Hopefully there is not a next time.

Reactions
This statement ^^^^ is 100% false. BMW does this, but no USA OEM has every stooped to such tactics. Of course, BMWs attract real brainless douchebags, so likely justified.
Interesting. My wife loves her BMW but I’ve never considered her a brainless douchebag. Quite the contrary, really.

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Interesting. My wife loves her BMW but I’ve never considered her a brainless douchebag. Quite the contrary, really.
I’d take my buddy’s tuned M5 competition any day and I’ll wear a t-shirt saying “douchebag” :)

Reactions
Not that I don't want to believe you, but do you have proof of any of these things? Or is it just something you know?

OP
Nbk4t5e

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
[QUOTE=just a word to the wise ... be carefully and make sure you know what they are doing to your ride if you take it in for warranty work.

Last edited:
Reactions
Reactions
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST Star White

2020 and up Cadillacs do it... and corevette prevents people from being morons in test drives and someone from going to the track a day after they take the car home

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sometimes the shifting gets rough on my Explorer after a period of time. You can easily do a PCM module reset or just reset trans adaptations using Forscan Lite or Forscan. Just about all the modules are listed and can be reset if it's acting funky. No need to visit the dealer.