Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Eco vs Normal in city driving

Reactions
So I barely go on the highways no from the pandemic. I've tried driving one tank on eco and one tank on normal. Sure enough I got better gas mileage on normal than eco. Does anyone actually get better mileage on eco? Maybe it's just my driving habits lol.

Reactions
Howdy, I am pretty sure most, if not all, emissions from an ICE come from the burning of fuel and generally the more fuel burned, the more emissions. Cheers.

KegsBdry

Reactions
So I barely go on the highways no from the pandemic. I've tried driving one tank on eco and one tank on normal. Sure enough I got better gas mileage on normal than eco. Does anyone actually get better mileage on eco? Maybe it's just my driving habits lol.
I fought with myself and my habits to drive one tank of gas on ECO. Though I got noticeably better mileage (25MPG), I couldn't pass up the fact that I bought a fast SUV for a reason....to drive fast.

I typically drive SPORT when I'm alone, ECO on long car trips, & NORMAL when the wife/family are in the car.

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Lol damn my habits. Guess I'm incapable of driving in eco.

Reactions
because youre expecting the car to actually move when you give it gas, youre probably pushing it harder than you would in Normal mode. all eco does it attempt to keep the engine RPMs low. so its going to shift up faster than normal.

eco is good for long highway miles where the engine speed can be reduced to as low as possible to conserve fuel, and limit the aggressiveness of passing and downshifting.

Reactions
If you are on a long trip, we have gotten 28 mpg using the cruise and driving a steady 75-80

Reactions
On street, you might be better off in normal mode. Leave Eco for highways.

Best way to get higher MPG's is move to the proper speed faster and stay there. Being on Eco, itll take more gas to move and longer to get to speed. Ford already skips gear on normal mode with the 10 speed, so no worries on shifting on low gear

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
On street, you might be better off in normal mode. Leave Eco for highways.

Best way to get higher MPG's is move to the proper speed faster and stay there. Being on Eco, itll take more gas to move and longer to get to speed. Ford already skips gear on normal mode with the 10 speed, so no worries on shifting on low gear
The different drive modes affect throttle response, shift strategy, torque converter lockup, and AWD engagement. All of those affect gas mileage. In the final analysis though, gas mileage is purely a function of brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC). That number varies based on load, rpm, and cam phasing. So, getting to proper speed faster is not a strategy that one should use. It obviously takes more hp to achieve a specific speed in a shorter time (acceleration) and this would require that the BSFC numbers at those hp levels are so much greater that they make up for the extra HP used. On a modern cam phased engine, that is not likely. Also, the ECO mode upshifts earlier, most likely locks up the torque converter earlier than NORMAL mode and limits engagement of the AWD case. That's why the ECO mode is best for gas mileage.

Last edited:
Reactions
What ever works! That’s why so many options

Reactions
Only use I have for Eco is in bumper to bumper traffic, makes the stops and starts less herky jerky since the throttle response and shifting is gentler.

Reactions
The different drive modes affect throttle response, shift strategy, torque converter lockup, and AWD engagement. All of those affect gas mileage. In the final analysis though, gas mileage is purely a function of brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC). That number varies based on load, rpm, and cam phasing. So, getting to proper speed faster is not a strategy that one should use. It obviously takes more hp to achieve a specific speed in a shorter time (acceleration) and this would require that the BSFC numbers at those hp levels are so much greater that they make up for the extra HP used. On a modern cam phased engine, that is not likely. Also, the ECO mode upshifts earlier, most likely locks up the torque converter earlier than NORMAL mode and limits engagement of the AWD case. That's why the ECO mode is best for gas mileage.
BMW did a test regarding that, which is the best way to get the most MPG. Accelerating and shifting below 2400 RPM and getting to the speed limit quicker netted the best results vs slower pedal driving.

From my experience in my scenerio on stop and go around town, Eco mode was NOT better vs Normal. More often I need to give it more gas on eco in a higher gear so it can move. Will vary by what your "city driving" is. The gear shift changes between normal vs eco is only 100-200 rpm difference, most times its the same. I hit 6/7 gear on normal mode as well as eco going 30-35 mph. Only time Eco mode was better was on the hwy using cruise control, car does not downshift in a lot of scenerios in eco leaving it in low rpm more often than not.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It would all depend on the efficiency maps, gearing, etc. Comparing some BMW engine is not evidence. Even your quoted BMW story (for a particular model I'm sure) keeps the rpm below 2400. So your argument is that Ford's ECO mode is suboptimal because .... why? Once again, it would all pertain to the BSFC islands on a particular engine not to mention gearing, AWD engagement, converter lock-up and upshift timing. 2400 RPM isn't some magical number.