Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

E50 mix tips?

Zim

Reactions
I’ve ran e30 before but I had an ethanol mixing chart and an ethanol calculator that would do the math for me.

I’ve tried to use the tune+ calculator but for some reason if I put the fuel level percentage say I’m at half tank it’ll tell me to put more gas than the thing will even take and throws off my mix. This thing has a 20.2 gallon tank right?

any tips are welcome. Upgraded fuel pump sounds like the best bet so far.

F=MA

Reactions
I mix E85 ($2.19), which varies from E70 in winter to E80 ish in summer with E30 (93 octane) ($2.59) 50/50. Never any problems. Runs smooth and goes like a raped ape. Average cost per gallon is $2.39. Gets about 13mpg as I am always lead footing it. It would get about 16mpg on normal 91 ($3.49) octane fuel. Lucky to have the Jumpstart stations here so I can run a simple 50/50 mix.

IMG_4063.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I mix E85 ($2.19), which varies from E70 in winter to E80 ish in summer with E30 (93 octane) ($2.59) 50/50. Never any problems. Runs smooth and goes like a raped ape. Average cost per gallon is $2.39. Gets about 13mpg as I am always lead footing it. It would get about 16mpg on normal 91 octane fuel. Lucky to have the Jumpstart stations here so I can run a simple 50/50 mix.

View attachment 6737
wow gas is cheap in Wichita!

Reactions
It sure is. Here in northern Ontario the price is $1.60 Canadian per litre or about $4.84 US per gallon for 91 octane. Cheers.

Reactions
And we have no access to ethanol, except special order.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I got the mix app as suggested above. Is E50 safe to run frequently when tuned appropriately? Do people run this as a daily fuel or is this a track day special?

F=MA

Reactions
See above. I run it full time no issues.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
How do you stop running e50? Just run your tank low and fill with regular gas? I sometimes travel to Northern WI (waaay up Nort) and would need to switch my tune to 91 or 87.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Run it low, fill up with whatever and change the tune at the pump then drive normal for 15 miles or so.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I mix E85 ($2.19), which varies from E70 in winter to E80 ish in summer with E30 (93 octane) ($2.59) 50/50. Never any problems. Runs smooth and goes like a raped ape. Average cost per gallon is $2.39. Gets about 13mpg as I am always lead footing it. It would get about 16mpg on normal 91 ($3.49) octane fuel. Lucky to have the Jumpstart stations here so I can run a simple 50/50 mix.

View attachment 6737
Run it low, fill up with whatever and change the tune at the pump then drive normal for 15 miles or so.

Do either of you test the E85 you're using to see the changes from summer to winter? The sticker on the pump that F=MA provided has quite a range in ethanol %. I looked at my gas station website and they claim 80%. I wonder if it changes and how much it changes in the colder months where I live. I may pick up the test tube and see for myself. That way I can run an accurate mixture year round (I don't care to replace a motor because I have expensive skiing and mountain biking addictions lol).

F=MA

Reactions
I do not test.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m in southeast Texas…I use the same station every time unless I just get caught somewhere running low. I test it every 2 weeks…it’s deadly consistent between 85-90. Stripes FTW in Texas….they’re always on point.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
I’m in southeast Texas…I use the same station every time unless I just get caught somewhere running low. I test it every 2 weeks…it’s deadly consistent between 85-90. Stripes FTW in Texas….they’re always on point.
I love stripes too, mine seems to always be E87!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I love stripes too, mine seems to always be E87!

Thanks gentlemen. Looks like I’ll test. Just for peace of mind.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Thanks gentlemen. Looks like I’ll test. Just for peace of mind.
Good idea! If you choose to run an ethanol sensor you will also be able to accurately guess your mix after using it for awhile. I haven’t used a calculator in a long time! The ethanol sensor also comes in handy when traveling or switching between tunes that run different levels of ethanol since you can monitor your ethanol rating in real time. I also used it to figure out the ethanol rating of the 93 I use locally which is between 10-13 pct ethanol when using 93 it for exclusively for a month.

The one I use is kinda expensive at $300 or so. Not to mention you will need another $150 hose to go with it. It’s super easy to install and use though. All I do is hit connect on the app on my phone after I fill up and I watch the levels fluctuate and stabilize. After they stabilize I don’t really look again until I fill up.

Fuel-it Bluetooth ethanol sensor.
The hose comes from XDI. IMG_1547.png

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Good idea! If you choose to run an ethanol sensor you will also be able to accurately guess your mix after using it for awhile. I haven’t used a calculator in a long time! The ethanol sensor also comes in handy when traveling or switching between tunes that run different levels of ethanol since you can monitor your ethanol rating in real time. I also used it to figure out the ethanol rating of the 93 I use locally which is between 10-13 pct ethanol when using 93 it for exclusively for a month.

The one I use is kinda expensive at $300 or so. Not to mention you will need another $150 hose to go with it. It’s super easy to install and use though. All I do is hit connect on the app on my phone after I fill up and I watch the levels fluctuate and stabilize. After they stabilize I don’t really look again until I fill up.

Fuel-it Bluetooth ethanol sensor.
The hose comes from XDI. View attachment 7253

Roger. Tango. :)

OP
Z

Zim

Reactions
Thread Starter #20
My issue was that I’d already be on e50 but I’d go to fill up again using an ethanol calculator at say a half tank.. it would say add 5.39 gallons of E and 4.71 gallons of 93 but the dispenser would click at like 2-3 gallons causing my mix to be off.

maybe my fuel gauge was off or something or I’ll have to try again. really just want to go full e85 at this point.