Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

E-15 Gasoline?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I hope this question is in the correct sub forum, if not sorry. I heard that the Government is going to or has approved E-15 Gas Blend to help “Ease” gas prices and set to be delivered starting June 1st. My question is, will this blend damage our engine? I know currently most gas contains up to 10% ethanol and considering our engine is not Flex Fuel rated just wanted to ask y’all.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not a problem.

OP
Big Dummy
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thank you TMac, I was just checking the owners manual and it says do not use fuel with more than 15% ethanol…. I am just going try and avoid the E-15 as much as possible, I wish I had more than one local gas station that sells non-ethanol fuels in my area

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I wish I had more than one local gas station that sells non-ethanol fuels in my area
If there are rural/agricultural areas near you, look there.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
My local Kum & Go has 83, 87, 91, E15 and E85 all at the same pump/every pump. You should tune if you want to run higher than E15. I currently run the 91 octane tune from ZFG, which allows you to run up to E30, which I usually do by mixing 12 gallons of 91 with 6 gallons of E85 (70% Ethanol).

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Your car will run better on E15 than it will on non-ethanol. E10 too for that matter.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
E15 isn't allowed in Calizuela :)

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Won't our gas mileage take a hit with the E15? I notice a difference between non ethanol and 10% ethanol fuel.

Reactions
Won't our gas mileage take a hit with the E15? I notice a difference between non ethanol and 10% ethanol fuel.
Absolutely but stop thinking about things logically and focus on what they want you to.

Ethanol has lower energy content than gasoline. The reason people run e85 is that lower energy content is less likely to detonate, allowing more timing, etc. This also allows you to dump more fuel in, cooling the system, and providing more bang for your air. On the flip side, your fuel economy takes a MAJOR hit.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I doubt you’ll even notice a difference between E10 and E15.

Reactions
What’s the difference between E15 vs. 93? Is E15 better, or 93?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
What’s the difference between E15 vs. 93? Is E15 better, or 93?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E15 means more ethanol and less gasoline.

Technically since ethanol has lower energy density, it raises the octane rating of the fuel, so an E15 93 is actually a lower quality fuel than an E10 93 or an E0 93.

Youll really only notice the difference in fuel economy though, as the knock resistance is what matters for power. As long as you can flow enough fuel, preventing knock is the name of the game for power. You will however, make more power for the amount of fuel used with lower ethanol content.

Long story short, E15 and 93 octane are not necessarily mutually exclusive.