Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Driving home to Dallas-Winter Storm Mara

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
In the last bit of the Winter storm here that produced a lot of ice but will be driving home tomorrow. Anyone in TX drive their ST this week on these icy roads and did you use slippery mode? Just want to know what mode to drive in as it’s a 4 hour drive up North.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not in Texas but we have had a lot of slippery conditions here in WI this winter. If the roads are bad I would recommend using slippery mode from my experience. Dramatic difference in traction. Stay safe.

real_supersnake

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'm in DFW and have to try to catch a flight today. I will definitely be testing out the Slippery mode to get to the airport.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Report back on how you like it. I sure think it works well.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
We just got our Explorer ST, so we haven't tried it in snow/icy conditions. But, my 2019 F150 has Slippery/Snow mode and it significantly reduces the power. It really helps so I don't spin the truck out and avoid having to go into 4HI. Hopefully it's just as useful in the ST.

hbalek

Reactions
Slippery Mode keeps power going to all 4 wheels all the time. If you put up display on the dash you'll see the difference.

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Made it back safely!! Slippery mode worked wonders not one slip!! Really missed normal mode as it was a long drive but got here in one piece.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Made it back safely!! Slippery mode worked wonders not one slip!! Really missed normal mode as it was a long drive but got here in one piece.
Good to hear that it worked for you. The first 2 winters that I owned mine I never needed as with the weather conditions it wasn't needed. This winter has been a different story and I've used it a number of times.

Reactions
All it does is deaden the pedal and split the power equally front and rear.

real_supersnake

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I used Slippery mode when driving on the ice in my RWD. I was still able to get the vehicle turned sideways on the overpasses. Thank you Baby Jesus I got home without smacking any walls.

hbalek

Reactions
I used Slippery mode when driving on the ice in my RWD. I was still able to get the vehicle turned sideways on the overpasses. Thank you Baby Jesus I got home without smacking any walls.
Hence why people get AWD vehicles. I will never own a 2WD vehicle ever again after 13 years of AWD. I had a RWD 2003 Infinti G35 and it was terrible in snow even with stability control and traction control. My previous 2 AWD vehicles were FWD bias 2010 and 2013 MKZ's. They were quite good in heavy snow. This 2020 ST with RWD AWD is not as good actually.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hence why people get AWD vehicles. I will never own a 2WD vehicle ever again after 13 years of AWD. I had a RWD 2003 Infinti G35 and it was terrible in snow even with stability control and traction control. My previous 2 AWD vehicles were FWD bias 2010 and 2013 MKZ's. They were quite good in heavy snow. This 2020 ST with RWD AWD is not as good actually.
Winter traction is far more heavily weighted towards the tires you have mounted.

hbalek

Reactions
Winter traction is far more heavily weighted towards the tires you have mounted.
This is especially true in the Snowbelt, so I agree. But here in D.C. we barely get a trace or 2 inches of snow. We get a blizzard once a decade it seems.

Last edited:

real_supersnake

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It would have been so much better if we would have gotten 4 ft of snow, but this area is notorious for ice storms. Very few drivers here know how to drive when the pavement is wet, much less frozen. It was a nail-biting few days for sure.