Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Dripping in Driveway at Cold Start

hbalek

Reactions
So I've had my ST for almost 3 months and 2500 miles and have noticed liquid dripping under the driver's side middle of the vehicle after cold starts. I've kept an eye on this at every cold start making sure it's not coolant or other fluid. It seems to be a lot of condensation in the exhaust system some dripping in the front and more expectedly from the exhaust tips. My worry was that it was the trans cooler leaking. Silly me! Last night I looked underneath and it was definitely coming from the exhaust pipe and it was just clear water. So I did some googling and found this:

Exhaust Leak Only When Cold? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

A weep hole exists in the exhaust near the manifold to allow condensation to escape. I had no idea as this is my first truck and first twin turbo engine, which apparently produce more heat and water vapor which condenses in the cold exhaust pipes! I'm relieved to learn this new information! Has anyone else experienced this with their Explorer?

Reactions
I’ve experienced it with all my cars, even my Harley. Totally normal, turbo or not.

STilver

Reactions
I'm experiencing this issue, it seems from several places under the car, and doesn't seem to correlate only to cold starts. The problem with mine is that the dripping exhaust condensation is typically filthy with black soot mixed in, so I am regularly staining garage floor, driveways, etc.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s condensation from the exhaust or the AC drains. Every vehicle on the planet does it and it’s absolutely nothing to worry about.

STilver

Reactions
My vehicle is in the Ford buyback process now, it continues to dump an unusual amount of soot-filled exhaust condensation everywhere it is parked 20200930_184550.jpg

STilver

Reactions
Dealer inquired with Ford Technical assistance as they too believed this was excessive - Ford's reply was this is a "normal characteristic", and no repairs are needed...

Reactions
My vehicle is in the Ford buyback process now, it continues to dump an unusual amount of soot-filled exhaust condensation everywhere it is parked View attachment 3331
I had a 2018 Camaro which seeped a zillion times more than this.

RLJ

Reactions
So I've had my ST for almost 3 months and 2500 miles and have noticed liquid dripping under the driver's side middle of the vehicle after cold starts. I've kept an eye on this at every cold start making sure it's not coolant or other fluid. It seems to be a lot of condensation in the exhaust system some dripping in the front and more expectedly from the exhaust tips. My worry was that it was the trans cooler leaking. Silly me! Last night I looked underneath and it was definitely coming from the exhaust pipe and it was just clear water. So I did some googling and found this:

Exhaust Leak Only When Cold? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

A weep hole exists in the exhaust near the manifold to allow condensation to escape. I had no idea as this is my first truck and first twin turbo engine, which apparently produce more heat and water vapor which condenses in the cold exhaust pipes! I'm relieved to learn this new information! Has anyone else experienced this with their Explorer?
I had a 2018 Camaro which seeped a zillion times more than this.
My 6 month old 2020 Ford Explorer platinum leaks a ton of black soot water from the weep holes on the exhaust. It is hard to get off my epoxy garage floor and makes a terrible mess. I talked with a muffler shop and I am thinking about letting them bead weld the weep holes shut. Since ford will not fix the problem.

RLJ

Reactions
My 6 month old 2020 Ford Explorer platinum leaks a ton of black soot water from the weep holes on the exhaust. It is hard to get off my epoxy garage floor and makes a terrible mess. I talked with a muffler shop and I am thinking about letting them bead weld the weep holes shut. Since ford will not fix the problem.
Here is what your garage floor will look like if you buy a 60,000 Ford Explorer platinum.

Attachments

RLJ

Reactions
My vehicle is in the Ford buyback process now, it continues to dump an unusual amount of soot-filled exhaust condensation everywhere it is parked View attachment 3331
How did you get Ford to buy back your explorer? i am having the same problem..

lvenable

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer
How did you get Ford to buy back your explorer? i am having the same problem..
I am having the same problem. How did you get them to buy back?

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
7200 miles, get a little bit from the exhaust tips. Not seeing any marks from it dripping elsewhere, but there are stains on the bottom of the pipes

Reactions
Black, sooty exhaust is a by product of GDI engines.