Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Downpipes leak

Reactions

So I figured out why I was throwing a CEL. Spd downpipe had a small hole in the weld by the hanger but they were super cool about it and shipped out a next day air to me of a new pair no problem. So to all those with them if u can just double check with your shop or yourself your not getting any leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions

So I figured out why I was throwing a CEL. Spd downpipe had a small hole in the weld by the hanger but they were super cool about it and shipped out a next day air to me of a new pair no problem. So to all those with them if u can just double check with your shop or yourself your not getting any leaks

Thanks for the heads up brother... hope you are well!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I believe I’d just weld that shut before I went through the hassle of swapping it.

F=MA

Reactions
I had a supervisor who kept saying he was going to wait until the computer gets really good before he buys one. I do not think he ever bought one. I guess I am going to wait until these downpipes get really good before I buy a pair.

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I believe I’d just weld that shut before I went through the hassle of swapping it.
I asked my mechanic the same thing since he welded my mid pipes but as he also advised me if it’s covered under warranty it’s better off to let them fix/ replace it. Instead of him messing with it and voiding the warranty

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I had a supervisor who kept saying he was going to wait until the computer gets really good before he buys one. I do not think he ever bought one. I guess I am going to wait until these downpipes get really good before I buy a pair.
I get it. It was just a small tiny hole from the bad weld job I’m not sure if anyone else had the problem.

Reactions
I get it. It was just a small tiny hole from the bad weld job I’m not sure if anyone else had the problem.

Thanks Yungty718. I'll give mine another look over before I do the install. It may have been a bad weld job that you wouldn't have been able to see until over time (now) rears its ugly head. Hopefully this doesn't become a QC issue. Good to know SPD was quick to respond in the proper way.

Reactions

you want to sell the downpipes that have the hole?

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
you want to sell the downpipes that have the hole?
No can do they next day air shipped me a pair so I can send these back so they can see what went wrong as well

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #12

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Thankfully they sent me the replacement quickly but it was apparently a bad weld. Probably from the rush of fixing the line up issue from before. I had started smelling fumes when the auto recirculation would cut off and on, glad I caught it before going further with tuning

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Surely you were able to hear that?

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Surely you were able to hear that?
No just heard turbo whine a bit more but it wasn’t rattling or anything the top part weld that spread apart spread a bit more from taking it off but the small cracks in the weld according to the shop most likely acted as a vaccine and was sucking air in and only when stopped would it leak out

Reactions
lack of fusion
lack of proper filler wire while welding

honestly the welding looks like garbage for such an expensive part.

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
lack of fusion
lack of proper filler wire while welding

honestly the welding looks like garbage for such an expensive part.
Honestly must have been rushed job with all the misplaced 02 sensors from their first batch. And I got the lucky one of the bunch

Reactions
That's 2 strikes for SBD

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

OP
Yungty718
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
That's 2 strikes for SBD

Someone else had an issue?

Reactions
Didn't they have issues where the O2 bung was in the wrong location?