Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Dirty Dan Build

Reactions
Slowly building my ST. Aptly named, Dirty Dan.

Started with some cup holder inserts and a hitch cover by Marshmallow Designs.

Just installed Redline hood struts and Lamin-X foglight, reverse light and bumper reflector light tint yesterday, purchased through Whoosh Motorsports.

Appointment tomorrow for side and front window tint, along with an estimate for partial hood/c pillar wrap options.

On order are, H&R springs (Whoosh Motorsports) and Bora 1.25" spacers (Motorsport Tech).

Next up will be Steeda RSB, cold air intake, Turbosmart dual port BOV and cat back exhaust. Jury still out on which exhaust system.

Loving this ST.

Attachments

Last edited:

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
"Dirty Dan" Good name for your vehicle. :D

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
"Dirty Dan" Good name for your vehicle. :D
My son is a US Marine. We had not seen him since boot camp (roughly 6 months), and he was home on leave for 10 days when we bought our ST. He named it and it stuck. LOL

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Where did you find the ST cup holder inserts? Loos good.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Slowly building my ST. Aptly named, Dirty Dan.

Started with some cup holder inserts and a hitch cover by Marshmallow Designs.

Just installed Redline hood struts and Lamin-X foglight, reverse light and bumper reflector light tint yesterday.

Appointment tomorrow for side and front window tint, along with an estimate for partial hood/c pillar wrap options.

On order are, H&R springs and Bora 1.25" spacers.

Next up will be Steeda RSB, cold air intake, Turbosmart dual port BOV and cat back exhaust. Jury still out on which exhaust system.

Loving this ST.
Loving the ST cup holders! For $20 a piece (after taxes/shipping), they better look damn good!

Do you ever have issues with the ST cup holder inserts spinning and not staying straight/aligned? I can see my OCD going nuts on that. :LOL:

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Loving the ST cup holders! For $20 a piece (after taxes/shipping), they better look damn good!

Do you ever have issues with the ST cup holder inserts spinning and not staying straight/aligned? I can see my OCD going nuts on that. :LOL:
No sir, no spinning. I'm super OCD too. If you pop a stock one out, you'll see a pop out that keeps the stock ones aligned. These have the same pop out, so they stay perfect.

They're 3D printed, so maybe not for everybody, but I personally love the look/texture of them.

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
No sir, no spinning. I'm super OCD too. If you pop a stock one out, you'll see a pop out that keeps the stock ones aligned. These have the same pop out, so they stay perfect.

They're 3D printed, so maybe not for everybody, but I personally love the look/texture of them.
You got me sold now.

If they did spin, I'd say it'll be another thing I'd have to do when I get in the vehicle. Thanks!

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
15% IRX tint installed on front side windows and windshield strip. The stock rear and side windows metered at 17%, if anyone wanted to know.

Received a quote for partial hood wrap and c pillar wrap. Getting another quote for comparison before pulling the trigger.

Coming together.

20210603_171152.jpg 20210603_171212.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Just ordered an MBRP catback system from Whoosh Motorsports. Can't wait to get it, and bolt it on!

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Another small addition for Dirty Dan.

I'm diggin' it. 20210607_165913.jpg 20210607_170158.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
It's the little things that make it look good. :cool:
Agreed! I know most of what I'm doing, has already been done.....just not to mine yet. So it's all new to me and I am enjoying the slow build.

MBRP catback system should be here tomorrow, and hopefully installed tomorrow evening. H&R springs and Bora spacers still on order.....cannot wait for those to come in!

Still trying to determine if I want a full BOV or a VTA adapter. I don't want it to be obnoxious, but I do want a little bit of blow off sound.

Also going to get the Whipple Intercooler, down pipes and a solid tune at some point. A 12 second grocery getter sounds delightful.

Baby steps, lol.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Agreed! I know most of what I'm doing, has already been done.....just not to mine yet. So it's all new to me and I am enjoying the slow build.

MBRP catback system should be here tomorrow, and hopefully installed tomorrow evening. H&R springs and Bora spacers still on order.....cannot wait for those to come in!

Still trying to determine if I want a full BOV or a VTA adapter. I don't want it to be obnoxious, but I do want a little bit of blow off sound.

Also going to get the Whipple Intercooler, down pipes and a solid tune at some point. A 12 second grocery getter sounds delightful.

Baby steps, lol.
When it comes to the choice between a full BOV or a VTA adapter, I went with what I really wanted out of it...just the sound. It's an easy add-on (and fairly easy to remove later). It's not annoying and if you drive it in ECO mode. Which is how my wife drives it; she does not even hear the VTA sound.

What's nice is the after market exhaust sound when you press on the accelerator and a fun VTA sound when you let go of the accelerator. 2 enjoyable sounds that gets a little attention on the streets.

I'm on the fence with buying the H&R springs. Does it make the ST look sexier? YES. Will it help with ground clearance & a less stiff ride? NO.

Definitely want to look into a solid tune too. Don't know much else about it except for looking around on this forum. But I'm wondering if I'm being sucker waiting on Ford Perf to get around to making one....
My Tune Requirements: 93 Oct & as close to 100 extra HP without too High of a Risk to braking anything.

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
MBRP catback system showed up from Whoosh Motorsports today. 3 days from order date.

Packaging was excellent. All pieces accounted for.

Bolting this bad boy on tonight! Can't wait.
20210609_115901.jpg 20210609_120551.jpg 20210609_120600.jpg

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
MBRP catback system showed up from Whoosh Motorsports today. 3 days from order date.

Packaging was excellent. All pieces accounted for.

Bolting this bad boy on tonight! Can't wait.
View attachment 6207
Nice exhaust tips!!!

Reactions
I'm really looking forward to your review of the exhaust!