Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Did I damage my transmission?

Taz

Reactions
About three months ago, I was pulling into Home Depot and I got call from my mother in law who lives with us. My in laws are in there upper 80's and don't get around well so we take care of them. English is not their first language so phone conversations are a little difficult for them. When I answered the call, she was frantic and kept screaming for me to come home. I kept asking why and finally I got a one word answer, she screamed "FIRE", and she hung up. I immediately called 911 and took off back to the house. I was about 7 miles away and I put the car in sport mode, turned on the emergency flashers and drove the car like I never drove it before. I stabbed the accelerator to 110% from every stop and and had the pedal fully to the floor passing cars and on every opening. After about 5 miles of this (all the way to the floor or brakes), the car started losing losing power and wouldn't accelerate like a slipping clutch. It got worse quickly (about a minute), the car wouldn't move at all while in gear. I pulled over to the side, turned off the car and restarted it and the transmission seemed to work again, so I kept on in the same manner. I didn't care at the time, just something I'd deal with later if needed. When I made it back home, the police and fire dept. were there and had already put out the fire. It was just a kitchen fire without too much damage, and everyone was okay. I have to say that the stock ST handles very well and I felt like I had perfect control even in the tight turns at full speed.

Now, when I put the car in sport mode and push it really hard (which is kinda rare) the transmission doesn't always shift properly. It often won't shift out of a lower gear until I let off the accelerator and press again. The odd thing is that it does not seem to do this in Normal mode, only Sport mode. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? I don't get why it's only in sport mode. I don't want to bring the car to the dealer with this possible detuning for the single bolt recall until we know what's going to be implemented as a fix. My car is not tuned yet but does anyone think that a tune might rectify this issue since it seems to be only when I'm pushing hard in Sport mode? Not noticing any other transmission issues unless as described in Sport mode.

Thanks in advance...

Reactions
First off, sorry to hear about the scary situation your family experienced. Glad no one was hurt.

On the vehicle subject, it almost sounds like your vehicle went into limp mode, where you experience a complete loss of power and rough shifts -- though not sure why. That said, my vehicle has always shifted rough in sport mode. I find it's worst when driving at low speeds and I will get a really rough shift out of 1st gear where there is a long delay until it engages; almost like traction control when your start spinning in snow, even though I turn that off habitually. I don't suspect I have a busted tranny, but am on the verge of a ZFG tune and am curious if it helps smooth out the rough stock shifting.

Reactions
First off, sorry to hear about the scary situation your family experienced. Glad no one was hurt.

On the vehicle subject, it almost sounds like your vehicle went into limp mode, where you experience a complete loss of power and rough shifts -- though not sure why. That said, my vehicle has always shifted rough in sport mode. I find it's worst when driving at low speeds and I will get a really rough shift out of 1st gear where there is a long delay until it engages; almost like traction control when your start spinning in snow, even though I turn that off habitually. I don't suspect I have a busted tranny, but am on the verge of a ZFG tune and am curious if it helps smooth out the rough stock shifting.
The ZFG Tune does smooth out the shift points, like butter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
///Now, when I put the car in sport mode and push it really hard (which is kinda rare) the transmission doesn't always shift properly. It often won't shift out of a lower gear until I let off the accelerator and press again. The odd thing is that it does not seem to do this in Normal mode, only Sport mode ...
Thank God the fire did minimal damage and everyone is okay. Fires double in size every minute and sometimes kitchen fires can get away and do a lot more damage.

Regarding the trans, are you saying that if you're in Sport mode and you don't lift your foot it will never upshift? Like when its in Manual Mode?

If so, that's not normal.
If you're just holding your foot steady in Sport Mode, it is programmed to "hang on" to a gear for a little longer than normal.