Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CV Joint Leak

Reactions
Welp after noticing a slight vibration coming from the middle of the cabin, I checked underneath to see if there was any visible damage, leaks, etc. I had a serious vibration from a "bent" wheel about six weeks ago that was fixed. Fast forward about four weeks after the repair and I notice the vibration happening again at at highway speeds (70+mph) It is not as bad as before the wheel repair and no steering wheel shake. Curious if the bent wheel could have caused this. I really do hope Ford didn't brush this under the rug if the issue was prevalent while having the wheel repaired. My factory warranty has now expired and the additional year of PremiumCare has kicked in. Really hoping that this is covered. Anyone else run into this issue?

IMG_3263.jpg

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Common issue:

hbalek

Reactions
My PremiumCare brochure clearly states all axles, joints and other parts are covered. I haven't taken it in yet for repairs but will soon.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Appreciate this. Hoping that it is indeed as easy as replacing the boot and torquing the clamp correctly.

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Of course Ford cannot get me in until next week and this is my only mode of transportation until then. How safe is this to drive? Or, does it really all depend? I have obligations during the week that requires about a 20 mile round trip a few times.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I had an old BMW with a leaking CV before. Made a noise when turning on that side. Went a few weeks before I could get it in. You should be good for a week. Just keep on eye on it. Without the grease it will come apart in a very dramatic fashion.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine is currently in shop for same issue plus other stuff too including leaking catalytic converter

Attachments

OP
mcfarlrm
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Mine is currently in shop for same issue plus other stuff too including leaking catalytic converter
Let me know what the fix is and what they charge you. I'm hoping that it is just the boot needing to be replaced and no other damage has been done.

Ostro

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I’m getting this repair done for the second time in less than 6 mos. Its in the shop now. It was all covered under warranty before.I’ll see what they say later today.

Attachments

hbalek

Reactions
UPDATE: I went in for an oil change on Thursday, and they confirmed both CV boots are leaking and must be replaced. They ordered parts for me and one is on backorder. This will be under powertrain warranty with no deductible, as I am at over 36,200 miles. My Extended Warranty would have covered this after the powertrain warranty ends and would have a $100 deductible.