Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CV Fab Intercooler in Prototype Stage

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Good evening. I just inquired with CVF about intercooler since they are big in the Ecoboost scene and they have one in prototype stage now.

I will encourage them to post some details and possibly to answer any questions we may have.
I'll start with:

Availability: approx 4 months

Price: unknown but likely lower than other offerings

Performance: Still in validation testing so no data yet

Here are a few pics they sent me. 009.jpg 001.jpg 002.jpg 004.jpg

Reactions
Looks identical to the Whipple in every way, including fittings and brackets, but coated black. Just get the Whipple and skip the 12 month (says 4, right......) wait. Mushimoto has been develping theirs for the better part of a year now with no end in sight.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
Looks identical to the Whipple in every way, including fittings and brackets, but coated black. Just get the Whipple and skip the 12 month (says 4, right......) wait. Mushimoto has been develping theirs for the better part of a year now with no end in sight.
Mounting points are similar, but core (key to cooling) is very much different and is proprietary (not off the shelf, designed in-house). Data to back up performance is on its way and will be on the product page at CVFab.com as we do with all of our intercoolers (that's where the images are coming from).

We're also not going to charge you $1100 for the unit - going to be way more reasonably priced.

We also don't take 4+ month pre-orders. 2 months max and deliver on timelines.

Intercooler piping and downpipes are also on the way.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Will be interesting to see the data comparison to the Mishimoto.

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
Mounting points are similar, but core (key to cooling) is very much different and is proprietary (not off the shelf, designed in-house). Data to back up performance is on its way and will be on the product page at CVFab.com as we do with all of our intercoolers (that's where the images are coming from).

We're also not going to charge you $1100 for the unit - going to be way more reasonably priced.

We also don't take 4+ month pre-orders. 2 months max and deliver on timelines.

Intercooler piping and downpipes are also on the way.
Will you be doing hot side and cold side piping? Or just cold side? What about an intake?

I have a couple buddies with EB raptors that have used your parts and love them. Definitely going to be very interested in what you guys put out.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
Hot and cold side piping - intake is on the docket but we haven't gotten started just yet.

Happy to hear your buddies like what they see! We're trying over here!

OP
R

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Will you be doing hot side and cold side piping? Or just cold side? What about an intake?

I have a couple buddies with EB raptors that have used your parts and love them. Definitely going to be very interested in what you guys put out.
My brother got a few of their parts for his eb stang and I was very impressed with the quality! I was chatting with him the other day and told him I was getting an ST, then he reminded me about CVF so I contacted them.
Now we're here!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Awesome! Like to hear about new options. I know the Whipple unit is proven and effective, but always like to see more than one option, especially if they're coming in cheaper! Will the pricing look similar to your F150 intercoolers?

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
Hot and cold side piping - intake is on the docket but we haven't gotten started just yet.

Happy to hear your buddies like what they see! We're trying over here!
Good to hear! Hoping you guys will offer a piping and IC kit all together when they launch. I will definitely jump all over that.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'm interested for a Intercooler.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
Good to hear! Hoping you guys will offer a piping and IC kit all together when they launch. I will definitely jump all over that.
We usually have them as a discounted add-on on the product page for the intercooler. Should be the same for this one.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
Awesome! Like to hear about new options. I know the Whipple unit is proven and effective, but always like to see more than one option, especially if they're coming in cheaper! Will the pricing look similar to your F150 intercoolers?
Yes sir, closer to F-150 IC pricing.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@CVF-Jason a competitor just posted their new intercooler at $920 for pre-sale, $1111 regular price, with no piping. Can't wait to see where your pricing is at and when it will go on sale!

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
@CVF-Jason a competitor just posted their new intercooler at $920 for pre-sale, $1111 regular price, with no piping. Can't wait to see where your pricing is at and when it will go on sale!
Yes sir, our standard price will be less expensive than their pre-sale price and pre-sale will be a lower promotional price. Listing will be up soon but it's guaranteed to be here in 2-3 months.

OP
R

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
Yes sir, our standard price will be less expensive than their pre-sale price and pre-sale will be a lower promotional price. Listing will be up soon but it's guaranteed to be here in 2-3 months.
Super curious of the data on its performance as I'm sure alot of people are. If others are like me I want the best performance per dollar, not necessarily the absolute most efficient or highest delta temp (although that is preferred).

@CVF-Jason please post data asap as many people will go for the competitors pre sale because it's a somewhat known quantity (at least data wise) and we're all looking to save a buck. If your intercooler is similar in performance some people may hold out for yours.

The people going for records need an intercooler that provides the highest delta temps as they are pushing either the stock turbos harder or going bigger turbos so need the coolest inlet temps possible. I'm just looking to remedy a factory flaw which is the miniature factory intercooler unsuitable for our engines in stock form. I have no plans for a tune or mods.

OP
R

Roostfactor

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
I will say to those not familiar with CVFab, I wasn't either, have never used any of their products, and am not being compensated for this, my brother bought one of their downpipes for his ecoboost Mustang and I was very impressed with the workmanship! This is coming from someone who has done a fair amount of tig welding stainless. Hopefully their quality with aluminum parts and a few years later still holds true. Here is an example of my work for reference.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
Super curious of the data on its performance as I'm sure alot of people are. If others are like me I want the best performance per dollar, not necessarily the absolute most efficient or highest delta temp (although that is preferred).

@CVF-Jason please post data asap as many people will go for the competitors pre sale because it's a somewhat known quantity (at least data wise) and we're all looking to save a buck. If your intercooler is similar in performance some people may hold out for yours.

The people going for records need an intercooler that provides the highest delta temps as they are pushing either the stock turbos harder or going bigger turbos so need the coolest inlet temps possible. I'm just looking to remedy a factory flaw which is the miniature factory intercooler unsuitable for our engines in stock form. I have no plans for a tune or mods.
Yes! We're trying to get them from our tester as we speak.

We compete with Mishimoto's units for several platforms and we hear you. Performance will be at least up to par as every one of our other competing units are (F-150, Mustang, Focus, Ranger) and our price point will beat theirs as we don't have their marketing budget to have to pay - we pass on the savings. To be clear, we back up the performance of all of our units with real-world, verifiable data - it's all on the product page for the intercoolers on CVFab.com.

In short, we look to beat on both performance and price. Most expensive isn't always best-performing.

Last edited:
Reactions
So I just checked out your website, I see you offer intercooler piping for a lot of vehicles.

For people that already have a Whipple or are buying the Mishimoto, if you offer IC piping for the Explorer ST, would it be compatible with any IC or only yours?

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Exp ST
So I just checked out your website, I see you offer intercooler piping for a lot of vehicles.

For people that already have a Whipple or are buying the Mishimoto, if you offer IC piping for the Explorer ST, would it be compatible with any IC or only yours?
Piping is coming (OEM BOV first) and it's compatible with any intercooler. Any of our intercoolers and pipe kits are interchangeable with OEM, which means that any intercooler will work with any other company's pipe kits and any pipe kits will work with other company's intercoolers (if that intercooler is OEM fitment, that is).