Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cup Holder ambient lights

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mast bump anyone?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
well tbf, if ya remove a bunch of features then you'll have less issues.. The Flintstone Syndrome... Fred never got flats... ;)
None of the removed items had issues. Well maybe the lights for a few but I wouldn’t call that a real issue. Just bad design by ford. But yeah I hear yah lol

Reactions
For what it's worth... we have had a very very very large amount of 2020s in for service for all sorts of crazy issues.. mainly a bunch of electrical problems and some being bad enough to debilitate the vehicle.

I can count the number of 21s that have had issues on one hand.

This is for all Explorers in our service department but the only STs that I've seen in service that have had issues have all been 2020s.

From being on the dealership side.. the 2020 is by far least refined of the three model years.. mainly interior fit/finish and materials used and crazy amount electrical bugs.

Matte black plastics are HORRIBLE compared to the gloss black they added in 21.

21 seat trims aren't snapping and breaking off.

Haven't had a single 21 with transmission issues.. have seen 3 2020 STs with transmission issues.. 1 being the old vehicle of our finance manager.. his 2020 was one of the worst Ive seen but I have a few customers who are having pretty bad issues with their 2020s.

Not trying to knock the 2020s... just putting my two cents in for seeing first hand different issues with model years.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I like the Robinson remark :ROFLMAO: I fly fixed wing but choppers still interest the heck out of me.
There's a law office not far from the factory in Torrance that pretty much does nothing except represent Robinson owners for the weekly crashes/deaths. Just take a look at the Kathryns Report website sometime. I think there were three crashes in the first week of 2022.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/07/family-challenge-robinson-helicopter.html

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, 2022 Ranger XLT
I'm glad to see we're not the only ones with electrical issues on our 2020. We've had issues with the front and back cameras going out (usually when trying to park), the presets not storing correctly and self adjusting (often putting me into the dash). Currently, the ambient lighting in the cup holders is out and the backup camera is blanking intermittently again. It's been to the dealer once already and was rewired and the cameras replaced. Now, it needs to go back again for the latest round of issues. We also had the issue with the plastic trim on the driver's seat breaking. It has less than 13,000 miles and is essentially still "new". My sales manager is actually trying to buy it back because he's desperate for low-mileage used cars...and put us in a new 2022 with the addition of the performance package ;).

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Bad design? Chip shortage? Likely the latter. However, we arguably have a More reliable car than the 21s and certainly than the 20s. Not guaranteed but likely true. I’ll take the reliability over some cupholder lights that are known to go out.
all i keep hearing is chip shortage!! lol

Reactions
The OEM Sync 3 on my 2020 is kaput now confirmed by the dealership. They filed a claim with the extended warranty I bought and crickets since then. I don't think this bodes well for my warranty claim.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah I know. I will see if I can find out who it is. Or just find out what the fix was. I’m curious myself. I just didn’t push the issue when she addressed it. She said it was fixed and I left it at that.
New to the forum; did anyone find out the fix for the wind noise? It bothers me something fierce and I've had the ST for only two weeks...

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
New to the forum; did anyone find out the fix for the wind noise? It bothers me something fierce and I've had the ST for only two weeks...
Not sure. It was some engineering change from the factory.