Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cracked Front Camera Lens

Reactions
Has anyone dealt with this and replaced their camera? Took a 2.5 mile drive to the store and when pulling in to the garage flipped the camera on and saw the lens was badly cracked.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I wonder if someone bumped their car into yours or intentionally vandalized the camera.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I wonder if someone bumped their car into yours or intentionally vandalized the camera.
My guess is road debris as there's a ton of road construction between my house and the Costco I ran to. Also the car I parked behind was still there when I left so no reason to assume it was bumped in to.

Reactions
This just happened to my ST, I'm assuming the camera lens was hit by a small rock while driving the highway. Did you get your camera repaired yet? If so, what was the cost?

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Can't imagine it's too difficult. Can probably get it out without completely removing the bumper. Otherwise the bumper removal wasn't too bad when doing the FMIC. I'd check parts site for a salvage one and save some money. Couple hours in the garage to do the swap.

Reactions
The front bumper assembly has to be removed to the point it pivots down to access the camera. I watched a number of videos to remove the bumper assembly and plan on doing this in my garage. I found OEM cameras online for less than $100. Thanks for the reply Chamorro85.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
This just happened to my ST, I'm assuming the camera lens was hit by a small rock while driving the highway. Did you get your camera repaired yet? If so, what was the cost?
I still have not repaired mine and probably won't until I plan to sell it. You may want to look at the @UNBROKEN build. He figured out how to remove just the grill without entirely removing the entire bumper.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
The front bumper assembly has to be removed to the point it pivots down to access the camera. I watched a number of videos to remove the bumper assembly and plan on doing this in my garage. I found OEM cameras online for less than $100. Thanks for the reply Chamorro85.
Sure thing...good luck with the replacement. Where did you find the camera?

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Edit, nevermind

Last edited:
Reactions
Well I replaced the front camera in my garage yesterday and was expecting a blue screen or error message after completion, but no, it worked fine just like new. The Ford service advisor told me I would have to come in and have it initialized after installing a new replacement. Did I get lucky or will I experience problems in the near future? Time will tell, I'll let you know.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Well I replaced the front camera in my garage yesterday and was expecting a blue screen or error message after completion, but no, it worked fine just like new. The Ford service advisor told me I would have to come in and have it initialized after installing a new replacement. Did I get lucky or will I experience problems in the near future? Time will tell, I'll let you know.
I'd imagine they wanted to check the alignment, etc. You deff lucked out with it working out of the box. Would have figured they had something in place to make you go to dealer lol. Nice work!