Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Couple New Scams out there. Plz be careful!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So one scam I heard about is you receive a call from some1 claiming to be from whatever banking company you. The Caller ID will even say it’s your bank. They will claim there are a cpl of transactions that are sus(lol sorry I have kids that play among us). Then they will ask for your PIN in order to clear out the transactions. They will take all your money and it’s highly likely you will never get it back. The bank will not refund you that money. Long story short never give out your PIN. Your bank would NEVER ask you for it.
This next scam actually happened to us but they did not get any money from us. They will call claiming to be the local Sheriff’s Dept. They will say there’s a bench warrant out for your arrest. Simply stated with a bench warrant, the judge wants to see you in the “bench” in front of him/her. Then they will say you can come down to clear it up and there’s a small fee you need to pay to clear it up or you can just pay it over the phone and be done with it. Do not pay them, or go down to the Sheriff’s dept. They have gone as far as intercepting ppl on their way to collect the fee. So the Sheriff’s department doesn’t operate like this. If there is a warrant for your arrest, they will not call you and give you a warning. That would tip you off that they are coming for you and they would lose the element of surprise. They will just come knocking on your door w/o warning. You can’t pay your way out of it, they are required to bring you in front of a judge.
My wife and I were on our way up to Disneyland when she got this call. We said we were out of town and we would clear it up the 1st Monday we were back in town. The “Deputy” was even very polite and told us to enjoy our time there. Come Monday morning we drove down there and since they had no idea of when we were going to drive down to the Sheriff’s dept, no1 attempted to intercept us on the way to try and collect the fee. When we got there a real Deputy explained this scam to us. These scammers are getting more sophisticated guys. So just be weary and be safe.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I am "weary" alright.

OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I am "weary" alright.
Hahaha I guess I should’ve said “be vigilant” :ROFLMAO:

Reactions
1) Don’t use debit cards
2) DON’T EVER give ANYONE money over the phone.
People should know better by now..seriously.

SkyPilot6

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
RoboKiller is an app for your phone that blocks the majority of theses scams. I get a few dozen scam calls and messages a week this app catches and filters the majority of them. It will even answer some calls with a random pre recorded message to play around with the caller.

The only downside is it cost $30 a year. I've had it for a few years and it's been worth the money.

https://www.robokiller.com/

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
If I get a call where money or personal information is involved, I tell them I'll call them back using a number that I can verify as being from that organization.

That eliminates any potential scams.

Reactions
What did you do to think you might have an outstanding bench warrant. Why would you tell a stranger on a phone that you are out of town. Good thing you did not come home to an empty house.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You made some very good points ...

OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
What did you do to think you might have an outstanding bench warrant. Why would you tell a stranger on a phone that you are out of town. Good thing you did not come home to an empty house.
Oh we weren’t home but our 6 kids were 3, of which are over the age of 20. Our house is never really truly empty. Not only that but we have a very good alarm system that has motion detection inside the house. If anything bigger than a cat moves around in the house the system will go off.

Last edited:
OP
A
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
I think they said something like we were sent a federal jury duty notice that we didn’t respond or failed to show up for a federal jury duty or something like that was the reason for the supposed bench warrant.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
On a slightly related note, never set home as "Home" on your GPS. Use a nearby intersection or business.