Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Considering a new ST

Eddy

Reactions
Vehicle
2018 Chevy Tahoe
I'm looking at a new 2023 white ST with the loaded 401A package. I'm seeing them priced anywhere from 62k to 58k for the same options. Any thoughts on purchasing tactics would be helpful I'm hearing inventory is high for dealerships and cars aren't selling that fast.

Thanks!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I'm looking at a new 2023 white ST with the loaded 401A package. I'm seeing them priced anywhere from 62k to 58k for the same options. Any thoughts on purchasing tactics would be helpful I'm hearing inventory is high for dealerships and cars aren't selling that fast.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

Not assuming anything as you may be a very skilled car buyer, but the best tactic is do some research on invoice pricing on the car you are interested in with the way it is optioned. Dealers usually have ~3% holdback that the manufacture gives them so you can take that off the price of the vehicle. Best tactic is to find the same car at multiple dealerships and negotiate the price before you walk in the door. Once you have settled on a price you can live with (and have it in writing), go in and sign the papers. Don't be afraid to walk out the door if they change the price on you. Set a time boundary of 5 minutes for them to correct any price discrepancies (verbally let them know this) if they need to "Speak to the Manager". If they don't comply, thank them for their time and walk out the door.

Don't get emotionally attached to a car you "want" and don't necessarily "need". I just walked away from a deal on a TRX where the dealer and myself couldn't come together on a price I was willing to pay on a "want".

There are dealerships nationwide that are willing to sell and ship you a new car to your house, don't limit yourself by driving distance.

Good luck.

OP
E

Eddy

Reactions
Vehicle
2018 Chevy Tahoe
Thread Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.

Not assuming anything as you may be a very skilled car buyer, but the best tactic is do some research on invoice pricing on the car you are interested in with the way it is optioned. Dealers usually have ~3% holdback that the manufacture gives them so you can take that off the price of the vehicle. Best tactic is to find the same car at multiple dealerships and negotiate the price before you walk in the door. Once you have settled on a price you can live with (and have it in writing), go in and sign the papers. Don't be afraid to walk out the door if they change the price on you. Set a time boundary of 5 minutes for them to correct any price discrepancies (verbally let them know this) if they need to "Speak to the Manager". If they don't comply, thank them for their time and walk out the door.

Don't get emotionally attached to a car you "want" and don't necessarily "need". I just walked away from a deal on a TRX where the dealer and myself couldn't come together on a price I was willing to pay on a "want".

There are dealerships nationwide that are willing to sell and ship you a new car to your house, don't limit yourself by driving distance.

Good luck.
Thank you for the advice! It's interesting to see 3k-4k different sale price on virtually the same vehicle.

OP
E

Eddy

Reactions
Vehicle
2018 Chevy Tahoe
Thread Starter #5
Thank you for the advice! It's interesting to see 3k-4k different sale price on virtually the same vehicle.
Where is the best site to research and find the invoice price?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Go to JD Power's website and plug in all of the cars information and you will be able to see manufacture invoice pricing at each step as you are adding options to the Explorer. This doesn't mean that is what the dealership has paid for the car, as they can negotiate a lower than invoice pricing with the manufacture based on their buying power.
https://www.jdpower.com/

OP
E

Eddy

Reactions
Vehicle
2018 Chevy Tahoe
Thread Starter #7
Go to JD Power's website and plug in all of the cars information and you will be able to see manufacture invoice pricing at each step as you are adding options to the Explorer. This doesn't mean that is what the dealership has paid for the car, as they can negotiate a lower than invoice pricing with the manufacture based on their buying power.
https://www.jdpower.com/
Thanks again for the insight. Is it possible to get one for close to invoice? Not sure how well they're selling and it's close to the end of the year.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks again for the insight. Is it possible to get one for close to invoice? Not sure how well they're selling and it's close to the end of the year.
I think it might be possible to get it close to invoice price. Sales generally slow down in December and would be best to wait until the last week of the year to make some hard negotiations. Remember, hold steady to your price. Don't do any negotiating at the dealership as they will try to break your down with their tactics, get your sales price in writing before you go. If you decide to go to the dealership to check it out and test drive it, do just that and don't talk about prices and leave right after. Tell them you will get back to them if you are interested in giving them an offer.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
If you have a trade in, be sure to keep your keys close by. Usually the salesperson will set them on the desk after the appraisal and I will grab them up in case I need to walk away. Deals on a 2023 should be there. If you are financing you also have to be mindful of the interest rate. Two percentage points can really make a difference.

OP
E

Eddy

Reactions
Vehicle
2018 Chevy Tahoe
Thread Starter #10
If you have a trade in, be sure to keep your keys close by. Usually the salesperson will set them on the desk after the appraisal and I will grab them up in case I need to walk away. Deals on a 2023 should be there. If you are financing you also have to be mindful of the interest rate. Two percentage points can really make a difference.
I do have a trade and they are giving me exactly what KBB says the average trade in is. My trade also needs some work done on it that I don't want to pay for since it has 104k miles. Ford also just announced 1.9% for 60 months. It was 2.9% and they just lowered it. Their current offer is $3,500 off the sticker on the ST and they say that's their best deal.