Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cold Air Intake

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
Hello
I just added a magnum GT CAÍ but it keeps triggering the check engine light . Do any of you guys have any updates

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Double check your install and make sure everything is exactly as the instructions say especially the piece with the angled fitting.
This intake doesn’t throw CEL’s if installed properly.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
Thread Starter #3
I meant the AFE momentum GT cold air intake
Does this still apply for that CAI

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I knew which one you meant…there’s only 2 CAI’s on the market and yes…it still applies.

Ramma

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
double check that you reconnected all the sensors, and crank case hose. you might have a loose one.. i installed this intake yesterday it should not throw a CEL

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just a thought but if you’ve got a 2022 without the bov capped, could that be the culprit for throwing a CEL?

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
Thread Starter #8
Yes I do I rechecked everything yesterday and the light is still on it just shows up as a Evap leak

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
double check that you reconnected all the sensors, and crank case hose. you might have a loose one.. i installed this intake yesterday it should not throw a CEL
I see you have a '22 also, how long did it take you? I still have mine in the box and just need to know how much time to carve out for the install.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
Thread Starter #10
Well I did it at a dealership it took them roughly 45 mins and I brought the vehicle back to them again
And they told me that it’s because the computer is not recognizing the extra air coming in and isn’t able to properly adjust it to the fuel ratio and so it triggers the cel I reach out to lethal performance and they suggested a tune but I’m not doing that as a I have a warranty in the vehicle and the tune can void it

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
That’s so strange. So far your ST is the only one that has had this problem, that I’ve heard of. I’m wondering if they did something wrong at the dealership. Have you tried resetting the ECU? The car would have to re-learn your driving habits but that might do it. I mean no guarantees but in order to do so you’d disconnect your negative battery terminal and turn your headlights on and leave it for about 10-15mins. Then just reconnect the battery terminal. Then just turn on the car and take it for a little test drive. Now I’m kinda worried about mine. I get my aFe in the mail soon. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s so strange. So far your ST is the only one that has had this problem, that I’ve heard of. I’m wondering if they did something wrong at the dealership. Have you tried resetting the ECU? The car would have to re-learn your driving habits but that might do it. I mean no guarantees but in order to do so you’d disconnect your negative battery terminal and turn your headlights on and leave it for about 10-15mins. Then just reconnect the battery terminal. Then just turn on the car and take it for a little test drive. Now I’m kinda worried about mine. I get my aFe in the mail soon. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Actually there have been many throw a CEL…without fail it’s been an install error.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
Thread Starter #13
I really hope it’s an install error I’m going to have to shop around and see where I can take it to get it properly checked

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Why don’t you just open the hood and start looking for something visually unplugged? That’s an easy first step.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This intake is very easy to install. Open the AFE instructions, and follow along each step. You should be able to find the problem. IS the IAT sensor aligned per the instructions? All all hoses plugged in correctly? Are any hose clamps lose? Is the plastic hose plug assy and grommet installed on correctly? The couplers on the turbos fully seated? The bypass valve opened fully covered with a cap?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
This intake is very easy to install. Open the AFE instructions, and follow along each step. You should be able to find the problem. IS the IAT sensor aligned per the instructions? All all hoses plugged in correctly? Are any hose clamps lose? Is the plastic hose plug assy and grommet installed on correctly? The couplers on the turbos fully seated? The bypass valve opened fully covered with a cap?
I agree with Mikey. They had to have done a step wrong. The IAT sensor maybe wasn’t aligned properly, or maybe they got the hoses mixed up when plugging them back in. I watched this install vid a cpl times. Maybe check it out too, it might help you figure out where the problem is.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ok I installed mine. I took my time and triple checked every step cuz I was scared to get a CEL. It took me a hair under 2 hours to install it. After the install I first let the engine idle for 5 mins. Then I drove it for about 45 miles and still no CEL. But I will keep an eye on it. Can you take a picture of your intake? Particularly where the hoses connect on the driver’s side tubing. Also the sensor near the top of the passenger side tubing. That’s most likely the source of your trouble.

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer st
Thread Starter #18
This is the passenger one

Attachments

OP
J
Reactions
Vehicle