Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cold air intake

Reactions
You have the inside knowledge about a vendor making an intake but then you come on here and say to just use a drop in as an intake won't show any gains :confused:
Read closely, an intake won't help until the turbos are strung out, or in other words until they are close to their maximum potential. Do
So if you're not going to tune it, it's not going to do anything. It's still needed and valid for those planning to tune it and run it hard but unless you are that guy you don't need it. And good drop-in filter will get you the most what an intake would get you anyway.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
so has anyone actually taken the airbox apart? I mean, unless it's something stupid crazy, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to fab something up...
There is not much to the stock air box . Screw driver and a 10mm socket and that thing is in pieces . I was just trying to figure out where the 3 different plastic tubes that attach to the box go to so i could figure out a way to design an intake .

Reactions
Read closely, an intake won't help until the turbos are strung out, or in other words until they are close to their maximum potential. Do
So if you're not going to tune it, it's not going to do anything. It's still needed and valid for those planning to tune it and run it hard but unless you are that guy you don't need it. And good drop-in filter will get you the most what an intake would get you anyway.

I did read closely and i am going to tune and modify mine as that is what i do with all my vehicles . I'm merely stating that most vendors won't create something unless they think the market is there . Wondering what the cost of this intake will be to justify the need ? How many owners of an ST will actually be modifying it as apposed to the rest that will keep them stock ?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
I did read closely and i am going to tune and modify mine as that is what i do with all my vehicles . I'm merely stating that most vendors won't create something unless they think the market is there . Wondering what the cost of this intake will be to justify the need ? How many owners of an ST will actually be modifying it as apposed to the rest that will keep them stock ?
I've been waiting in the same line for a CAI for awhile now.... Although the gains on a new one won't be much to brag about the sound itself should be appealing (at least enough for me to invest in one).

Reactions
The cost will likely be 300 plus.

The gains will be hard to quantify, on what it looks like.

For example there are a ton of aftermarket intakes available for the Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost, but the thing that makes the biggest difference by far is the AMS Inlet pipes which don't even include upper intake box. So if this turns out to be a full custom intake, then yeah it'll be worth it. If it's just the box it's not really worth it.

Reactions
I've been waiting in the same line for a CAI for awhile now.... Although the gains on a new one won't be much to brag about the sound itself should be appealing (at least enough for me to invest in one).
Completely agree with you here !
The cost will likely be 300 plus.

The gains will be hard to quantify, on what it looks like.

For example there are a ton of aftermarket intakes available for the Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost, but the thing that makes the biggest difference by far is the AMS Inlet pipes which don't even include upper intake box. So if this turns out to be a full custom intake, then yeah it'll be worth it. If it's just the box it's not really worth it.

Around $300.00 is not bad at all . Maybe you can explain what the 3 different plastic tubes on the box do and where they run ? Is the lower driver's side of the box the "cold air" inlet ? the 2 upper tubes run to the turbos ?

Not a mechanic and never claimed to be one , which is why i'm asking ?

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Just put a drop in filter in it. Most ecoboost won't see gains from an intake anyway, at least not until the turbos are strungout.

one of the first "mods" was a drop in. (y)

Reactions
A CAI on this engine not only will be complicated, but as already mentioned, probably not worth much as far as gains go.

You can find the diagrams right on the Ford Parts site easily.

Intake, to the turbochargers:

3L Ecoboost engine diagrams (9).png

From the turbochargers, through the intercooler, and back to the TB:

3L Ecoboost engine diagrams (14).png

Reactions
A CAI on this engine not only will be complicated, but as already mentioned, probably not worth much as far as gains go.

View attachment 570

View attachment 571
On the EcoBoost platform and most other turbo platforms when people are referring to a cold air intake they're only talking about the part leading up to the inlet of the turbo not the entire system. Charge piping and intercoolers are a totally different ball game.

Reactions

View attachment 570

View attachment 571
Thank you very much ! The one thing i can't figure out is the top of the air box having 2 different size outlets depending on which side they exit . Left side outlet pipe is larger than the right side outlet pipe .

Reactions
On the EcoBoost platform and most other turbo platforms when people are referring to a cold air intake they're only talking about the part leading up to the inlet of the turbo not the entire system. Charge piping and intercoolers are a totally different ball game.

Correct. I only included the other diagram as a reference to show where all the piping fit. On my previous 3.5L, it was easy since there was one inlet leading to a single outlet - definitely different here.

Thank you very much ! The one thing i can't figure out is the top of the air box having 2 different size outlets depending on which side they exit . Left side outlet pipe is larger than the right side outlet pipe .
Yes, noticed that too. Not sure of the rationale, maybe just packaging?

Edit: Dug this picture off the web since I was too lazy to pull my cover off. I'd guess that larger opening on the passenger side has to do with the first tight bend. The engineers probably figured it was necessary to equalize flow, but that's just my guess. The part number is unique to 2020, so there's definitely a reason behind it. Gets even more interesting when you look at the cover from the inside.

A3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
Looks like its been quite a while, has anything new come of this yet?

Explorer ST Posts