Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Climate Fan Behavior

Reactions
Hey All,

When I am running the air (I always have airflow going) and have the fan speed set to level 1, the amount of airflow isn't consistent at all. At times it will be almost no airflow, then for a few seconds it will feel like it's on level 2 or 3, then back to almost nothing. Before bringing this up to the dealer the next time I am in there I wanted to see if it is "normal". This happens at all speeds when driving, recirculated or fresh air.

Thanks

Reactions
Do you have the fan speed set at one, two or three (I think there is also four, five and six) or are you referring to Auto three, two or one? They are different. Pushing Auto multiple times changes the fan speed range, while changing the actual fan speed sets the fan speed at one speed. Does that make sense?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I too occasionally experience the ghost fan phenomenon. I know exactly what you're talking about, Boosted.

Not in Auto setting. Just Lo (or whatever temp) with the fan set to level 1.

It does act like it's in Auto. Almost like a sensor decided it was too warm all of a sudden, and turns up the fan speed for a minute or two.

I've just turned off the climate control for a second. It seems to return to normal.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I too occasionally experience the ghost fan phenomenon. I know exactly what you're talking about, Boosted.

Not in Auto setting. Just Lo (or whatever temp) with the fan set to level 1.

It does act like it's in Auto. Almost like a sensor decided it was too warm all of a sudden, and turns up the fan speed for a minute or two.

I've just turned off the climate control for a second. It seems to return to normal.
Yup, this is exactly the behavior. I've never tried turning the climate off and then back on. I'll try and see if it does the same thing.

Do you have the fan speed set at one, two or three (I think there is also four, five and six) or are you referring to Auto three, two or one? They are different. Pushing Auto multiple times changes the fan speed range, while changing the actual fan speed sets the fan speed at one speed. Does that make sense?
Not using Auto, manually setting the fan speed to 1. And speed 1 is the only setting it does that on.