Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cleaning the Inside Rim

KegsBdry

Reactions
With a black vehicle, it's not easy keeping it clean. But I tend to run the ST through a touchless car wash as often as I can find one (weekly). Followed by a quick wipe of the back window (spots) and a tire foam spray to the tires (dissolves away on its own). As you can guess, maximizing effects with minimum effort.

But the Inside Rim never gets hit by car washes. Any ideas on an easy fix or an additional simple extra step to my routine?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The design of the 20" St rim makes it hard to get to the wheel hoop. The 21's look a little easier. They make several types of brushes to use on these. The best results is a little elbow grease and a rag to wipe them down. (y)

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The topic of ceramic coatings has also been beat to death already on this forum, but in my personal opinion even a decent repellant spray works pretty good at keeping dust/grime low on the wheel barrels. Since you are looking for minimum effort, products like this don't work forever but do work for a while at making your subsequent cleans easier/faster.

Blackssr

Reactions
With a black vehicle, it's not easy keeping it clean. But I tend to run the ST through a touchless car wash as often as I can find one (weekly). Followed by a quick wipe of the back window (spots) and a tire foam spray to the tires (dissolves away on its own). As you can guess, maximizing effects with minimum effort.

But the Inside Rim never gets hit by car washes. Any ideas on an easy fix or an additional simple extra step to my routine?
Amazon.com: Poorboys World Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner 1 Gallon: Automotive

Spray on a cool wheel and caliper. Wait 3 minutes. Hose off. Spotless. This is the best I have tried. I have been using for years on my Hellcat and Trackhawk and now on my 2021 ST with 2 piece after market wheels.. Brembos are known for excess brake dust and this cleaner requires no effort whatsoever. I use a Ryobi 40 volt leaf blower to blow off excess water and wipe down with towel. Total time 10 minutes max.

Tip: Run soapy water through sprayer nozzle. This cleaner is acid based and will eat the spring inside the sprayer if let overnight.

Last edited:
Reactions
If you want them clean the only way is to get in there with a detail spray and towel after washing it.

I've taken mine off and sealed the barrels and while it makes it easier to clean them if you want them perfect you need to get in there and wipe them.