Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cleaning The Engine Bay

F=MA

Reactions
Anybody been brave enough to clean the engine bay of their ST yet? I may try it with spray bottle of water cleaning small areas at a time to try and avoid wetting certain electrical parts.

Reactions
Excellent question. I haven’t but wondered if others had. I’m guessing someone’s been brave enough and can report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I've pressure washed mine, nothing to crazy just blowing off dust.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I get down at the car wash every once in a while. High pressure soap and all. Obviously I try to miss the electrical connections as much as possible.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Yeah... I'm not suggesting anyone do what I do but I clean under the hood all the time have done for 30 years. I use a pressure washer in my driveway. I of course use it at a distance for anything electronic which is quite a bit these days but if you pay attention you can avoid trouble areas.

Knock on wood I've never had a problem but I certainly believe it could be easy to get in trouble.

I personally think the icing on the cake is to use a product called Sonus Trim and Motor Kote. This is a product I would recommend. It's super easy to use and you simply need to trust the instructions on the bottle. It mists on kinda splotchy and if you'll just leave it alone in will migrate and leave an even finish under the hood.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Everything under the hood is sealed with weatherpack connectors... there SHOULDNT be any issue with water intrusion into anything electrical...

Ive been using hoses and pressure washers under hoods for a long time including on such cars as my 96 Corvette LT4 with the dreaded optispark which supposedly can be killed by getting it wet at all... meh...

If you keep up with it monthly or every other month, it will stay mostly clean and you wont have to get real crazy with it if you wait 4-5 years...