Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cleaning Front Grill

Reactions
Best ideas to clean the honeycomb front grill? Takes me a long time to get the water marks out.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Can these be ceramic coated? Would that help? I use Griots Ceramic Spray Wax on mine and it seems to help, I have no water spotting and I also dont have a water softener or anything like that.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
As soon as I finish washing I hit the whole car with my DeWalt cordless leaf blower...it’s awesome for drying out those weird spots like the grille.

Reactions
Ditto UNBROKEN. Also an 80 mph run up the interstate does the same thing and much more grin worthy

Reactions
Leaf blower. One local car wash has air hoses.
the batter operated old Milwaukee leaf blower works perfect.

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Thanks all. Will go with my leaf blower. Sounds great.

CoastieN70

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
Always bear in mind when using a leaf blower that you are blowing unfiltered air at high pressure so anything in the way of airborne particles are being blasted into your finish.
I have seen how anal members are about their cars finish, though I should point this out.
I use an METRO Blower Dryer like this one. Warm filtered air and no water spots
Amazon.com: Metro MasterBlaster MB-3CD Industrial Dryer and Blower System - 8 hp: Automotive

Reactions
I tried my leaf blower, didn't think it worked very good at all. Maybe my blower needs a super charger?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Best ideas to clean the honeycomb front grill? Takes me a long time to get the water marks out.
As mentioned I use a small gas powered leaf blower to dry off the whole vehicle. You can spray the grille with a little detailer and microfiber towel each slot. (Took me 15 minutes to wax it the other day)
It's a PIA but pretty when clean. I have a Raptor style grille in my F150 and it's the same way.

Blackssr

Reactions
I've been using this on my front grill and rear window as well as my wheels. Before I take my speed run, I blow off the grill, rear window and the wheels and wipe down to prevent spotting. After the speed run, I just wipe down the vehicle with a microfiber towel.

I have quite a few Ryobi tools so this was a quick buy at Home Depot. It is a lot easier to handle than a full size leaf blower. I even use it to blow off the dash and driver seat area and cubby holes. Variable speed as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TPR4LB/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_fabc_V2HFM9EZSGE6E9N0RHXA

F=MA

Reactions
I drive 14 miles to a small town carwash. It is the old fashion wand type car wash that is well maintained and has high pressure, lots of soap, decent temperature and a no-spot rinse. The drive on the way home dries the majority of the vehicle. I only have to spray down the rear door and bumper (with a spray bottle of soft water) and then re-wipe the rear door and bumper with a micro-fiber towel. I never even have to touch the front grill unless its time for ceramic wax. Added benefit is I like trains and I usually see one or two BNSF trains rolling by the carwash while washing the car.:)

Reactions
Maybe I’m doing something wrong but I just run a microfiber on my finger through each of the holes takes a minute or 2

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I use my shop vac with the hose on the exhaust port along with a outlet reducer on the hose end to increase air velocity…. Also I don’t use the blue filter in the vacuum, I use the Filter Bag as it is used for dust pickup and filters the air very well. Works great for the grille and the tailgate to blow out water from the top of the window.