Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cleaning Body Trim

Reactions
Lot of road construction going on right now. Having trouble cleaning the flat black trim. Anyone know of a good cleaner? Scrub it and hose it off and it looks great until it dries. Then spots of it look like they were not even washed. Big problem areas are right behind the tires. Maybe I just need to scrub harder. Any ideas out there?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Wash it good and then apply 303 or Armor All. (I prefer 303)

Reactions
Lot of road construction going on right now. Having trouble cleaning the flat black trim. Anyone know of a good cleaner? Scrub it and hose it off and it looks great until it dries. Then spots of it look like they were not even washed. Big problem areas are right behind the tires. Maybe I just need to scrub harder. Any ideas out there?
same issue after a good wash. I have used 303 for years. I use it on all flat black trim and dash. After a couple applications it sets in and those drying spots haven’t come back for me.

Attachments

OP
1big6fan
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
same issue after a good wash. I have used 303 for years. I use it on all flat black trim and dash. After a couple applications it sets in and those drying spots haven’t come back for me.
thanks will give it a try

Dphan67

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Can't say about cleaning but once clean consider a protectant. I use Cerakote for car trim, and plastic trim looks brand new, even though car parked outside in sun. Used it on my previous car and my wife's MDX. After 2 years the MDX trim still cleans easy and looks great.

Reactions
Can't say about cleaning but once clean consider a protectant. I use Cerakote for car trim, and plastic trim looks brand new, even though car parked outside in sun. Used it on my previous car and my wife's MDX. After 2 years the MDX trim still cleans easy and looks great.
my neighbor gave me a couple wipes of that stuff when I was selling an 07 Chevy Colorado... Great product. Now I cant comment on how it held up because I sold the truck about 2 days later, but he(and you) claim it actually does what its supposed to and last a while. I need to buy some for myself.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I just put on a heavy coat of Back To Black then buff it off after it sits a while. Cheap and easy…

Reactions
Back to Black works wonders on my black ATV trunk box so instead of the spray I usually use I purchased the liquid to try on my black plastic bed rail caps on the 7 year old Ram pickup. Once again Back to Black didn't disappoint, it brought the grayish caps back to almost new black color and the color has held for a month with a couple washes, little rain and a major hail event.
I have yet to use it on the ST as after a wash wiping the black trim with a towel and Turtle Wax wax and dry has kept it nice and black.

Reactions
I use the CMX once or twice a year. Stacking the V07 after each wash. It’s sealed and leaves a light, matte, sheen. No dirt ever sets into the trim texture.
1644944589668.jpeg
1644944627111.jpeg
1644944688570.jpeg