Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Chirping ST?

Defender6

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Drove over an hour this afternoon to test drive and purchase the last 2020 ST on the lot. When the salesman remote started it, it let out the strangest shrill/cricket sound from the engine for a few seconds. The best way I can describe it is it was similar to a bad fan belt sound. It was loud enough for my salesman to notice it and remark about it, but I still decided to test drive it thinking was because the car was relatively cold. It didn't.

It lets out this audible cricket sounding chirp under acceleration. Could not enjoy the drive at all and now I'm wondering if this issue kept it on the lot and why I'm getting an incredible deal. I drove it back and my salesman drove it with me and he was able to detect the sound. He also said he's never heard it in any ST and it was his first time hearing it today, even though it was gassed up and detailed when I got there. It'll go to the service lane in the morning but man...what is that sound? Nothing was loose that we could see under the hood and it doesn't make that sound if you're parked and revving the engine.

Thoughts? This can't be characteristic. Haven't seen anything online or in this forum yet. It's gorgeous, but one heck of a first impression.

Thinking about leasing a gray '21 ST nearby instead. At least it's 10 minutes away.

Reactions
Could be something simple but don’t sign anything until it’s fixed and they let you know exactly what it was.

OP
D

Defender6

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Indeed.

Hopefully it is. I told him to have service take it through a full battery of tests. Otherwise I think it was fine. It's an August build. Maybe I can get some all-season mats thrown in for my trouble lol

Dennis B

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Flord Explorer ST
I have 2022 MAKING THE SAME NOISE WITH THE SAME ISSUE. Did anyone ever discover root cause?