Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Chip on left fender

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Not sure if this is the correct sub section to post paint issues, but here it goes.

I have had my ExST for about 2 weeks now and it has about 650 miles on it, I just found a chip in the paint on the left fender between the door and fender. I was unsure if anyone else had this issue. I have a really good idea of how it happened (doors on/off in the assembly plant), and it’s likely I’m not the only one. It doesn’t look terrible on silver (looks like only the top coat is gone and the primer is exposed) but on a darker color it would pop out really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
I guess I was the only unlucky one with this issue...

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
probably, which means its totally something you should have the dealership clean up. your post spooked me so I went out and ran my fingers along every single panel gap. mine are all smooth and pretty. i even found a little piece of leftover masking tape, lol.

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I'm definitely going to get it covered under warranty, I just understand that some dealers are more willing to reject a warranty claim than others are, and the dealer I am thinking about taking it to it one of those, only because it is by far the closest dealer to me

Reactions
If it were mine I’d probably let it go. Sometimes paint repairs look worse after they’re done, especially if they respray and blend.

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
If it was dirt in paint, or some other scenario in which the paint was unbroken I would be more willing to let it go. I do agree 100% with you, I have a pretty good knowledge and understanding of OEM paint and paint repair processes. Maybe the best route would just be a touch up paint pen. I'm sure I could get one from a dealer

sck166

Reactions
Mine is on the door edge instead of the fender, but pretty much the same damage.

Reactions
I get the paint from touchupdirect.com, they match the factory paint, the kit comes with all required items depending on your paint type (primer, base coat, mid coat, clear coat, gloves etc.). They come in pen or brush depending on how you what you want to cover up.

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I get the paint from touchupdirect.com, they match the factory paint, the kit comes with all required items depending on your paint type (primer, base coat, mid coat, clear coat, gloves etc.). They come in pen or brush depending on how you what you want to cover up.
Luckily I was able to just contact a buddy I used to work with at the Ford Truck Plant and he got me a paint pen/brush.

Reactions
Luckily I was able to just contact a buddy I used to work with at the Ford Truck Plant and he got me a paint pen/brush.
You are lucky to have someone sent the paint to you. Also, if you are like me and don't like those annoying chips on paint from rocks on the road etc. you can consider the paint protection film (also known as clear bra) which works like a charm. You can pick which parts of the vehicle you want covered based on your driving.

Reactions
Same on my driver's side door 3 little chips down to the primer.I have not taken it to the dealership yet I 2 other cosmetic issues for them to deal with. IMG_20210303_173213.jpg