Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Check Engine and Service notice on first day

bpcunning

Reactions
First off, thanks to everyone here for the initial information while we looked into buying our ST. Big upgrade from our 2013 Edge and looking forward to driving it more.

Sadly about an hour after we bought it, the second time getting on the highway, we got a check engine light (Malfunction Indicator Lamp - Regulatory) and the acceleration just went away. That was Saturday evening, so of course there's no dealer service departments open, so our sales rep says come in Monday. I borrowed an OBD2 reader and saw P1016 (Wastegate Control Pressure Higher Than Expected). It still drove, just not quickly, so we ran a few errands. On Sunday the light was off when we left home, but came back on and this time was accompanied by a wrench and message to "Service Engine". At that point I noticed it would not go over 4,000 RPM, and threw a second code, P0234 (Turbocharger engine boost condition - limit exceeded/Engine Overboost Condition).

I dropped it off this morning with the odometer reading 188 (bought it at 81, and another 80 was round trip from the dealer home and back). Thankfully a manager stepped in and gave me an Expedition for a loaner, but really not feeling great when we had two warnings in less than 24 hours (and not even 60 miles driven). They said it could just be a reprogram/flash issue to get out of limp mode, but I'm not confident in that being a real fix.

The blend date is 1/9/20, so I assumed some of the early issues might have been cleared up, and maybe we just have a bad turbo/hose/cable/something. I saw one other post about P1016 but is this something others have heard about or experienced right off the dealer lot? Unrelated (I think) but it was also low on coolant, and of course missing the tow hook and rear deflector, but I'm not terribly worried about those issues all things considered.

Mark S.

Reactions
Check engine can on on my way home from the dealer about 6 miles from my house. brought it in the next day they cleared the code. It came on later that night. put my obd2 reader on said o2 sensor and heater sensor. Brought it in they had it for 7 days before they were told by Ford to reset the computer. Now my start stop engine function works intermittently and the lane watch function works intermittently going to bring it back into Ford again and see how long they have it for this time. I have had it for 7 weeks this will be the 3rd time in for service. mine was built in November I thought they would have all these issues figured out but I guess not. Getting pretty aggravated. The service Asst. Mgr where I bring it is not very helpful either. He said he would contact me everyday when I had it in last time. He would never call. Called Ford directly and would complain to them everyday they kept telling me that they were going to escalate these issues I was having and would have someone from their office contact me. Well that never happened either.

OP
B

bpcunning

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Well that's not encouraging. Dealer called back last night (they've now had the car more than we have after buying it) and said they've installed sensors and he has a tech driving it but nothing is showing up. I would much rather they find something wrong and fix it as opposed to just saying it's not showing anything so it must be fine.

Started looking into Texas lemon law rules last night (long way off but worth reading), but it sounds like you might be close with 3 repair attempts. After all the little annoyances on my last new car purchase (2015 Charger) I said I'd never buy a first year new model, but then I did. Here's hoping they find a culprit in days and not weeks.

Mark S.

Reactions
Yes been looking into Illinois lemon law also. Here is what I found so far. While the Illinois New Vehicle Buyer Protection Act, also known as the “Illinois Lemon Law,” provides that the automobile manufacturer must refund or replace a new vehicle that is subject to non-conformities four (4) times in the vehicle’s first year or 12,000 miles, or is out of service thirty (30) or more business days in the same period. about half way there on the non-conformities. I would prefer to not go though the whole process.

OP
B

bpcunning

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I heard back from the dealer this afternoon. They managed to trigger and store P1016, which means it’s related to the turbo. Unfortunately he said none of their techs have encountered that error code before, nor have they worked on turbos yet on the 3.0. So tomorrow they’re going to talk to Ford engineers to figure out next steps. At least it’s something now but that doesn’t make for an encouraging timeline.

Mark S.

Reactions
I heard back from the dealer this afternoon. They managed to trigger and store P1016, which means it’s related to the turbo. Unfortunately he said none of their techs have encountered that error code before, nor have they worked on turbos yet on the 3.0. So tomorrow they’re going to talk to Ford engineers to figure out next steps. At least it’s something now but that doesn’t make for an encouraging timeline.
That does not sound very encouraging. When I brought mine in the first time they had to talk to Ford Engineers also. Had to reprogram my PCM took a week to figure it out.

OP
B

bpcunning

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Got called last night saying they found and fixed the problem. It was a broken vacuum line to the wastegate valve (P1016) and once that was fixed they checked turbo pressures and found the turbo bypass valve solenoid wasn’t operating due to a bad pin in the wiring harness (P0234). Warranty paperwork shows about $750 worth of work for those 2 fixes (and all the diagnostic hours). They said there should be no long term impact on the turbo, but that remains to be seen of course. Very glad to have it back though.

Good luck on your’s Mark, hopefully Ford can catch back up on getting these vehicles back on the road.

CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON, VERIFIED CONCERN EEC TEST
P1016 PERFORM PIN POINT TEST 'HN' VERIFIED PASSENGER SIDE WASTE GATE VACUUM SOURCE LINE TORN, PERFORM VACUUM HOSE LINE REPAIR AND CONTINUED DIAGNOSTICS VERIFIED AT TURBO CHARGER BYPASS VALVE SOLENOID PIN 1 NOT SECURE IN CONNECTOR, PERFORM PIN/WIRE REPAIR, CLEARED CODES AND RETEST OK, PERFORM POST MONITOR ROAD TEST, GOOD PERFORMANCE, PERFORM KOER PASS CODES PRESENT

Last edited: