Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

'CHARGING SYSTEM SERVICE NOW' warning on Dash

KegsBdry

Reactions
Starting a new thread from the DEEP SLEEP MODE. Because I'm not certain if it's part of the same issue.

This warning light keeps coming back. First time I saw it, the battery was dead the next day. I also got a "Deep Sleep Mode Activated" message from FordPass the day prior as well. Charged the battery & dropped it off at the dealership.

2020-06-22 15_58_05-Deep Sleep Mode _ Explorer ST Forum.png

1st time @ the dealership: New Battery.
2nd time @ the dealership: Software Update needed on the BCM.
3rd time @ the dealership: They found a short on the grounding wire (on the passenger's side).
4th time it happened: Connected the ST to my phone's hotspot, ran a software update. UPDATE: I also unplugged my wife & I's smartphones from the cigarette outlet. Warning Message went away & the battery icon on the right side of the fuel gauge disappeared too. Did not need to restart the vehicle. I also plugged our phones back into the cigarette outlet for the ride back home. Warning message did not come back on.

Question: Anyone running into this problem too?

Last edited:

rchuro

Reactions
This just started happening to me. Were you able to resolve the problem?

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
This just started happening to me. Were you able to resolve the problem?
On the 5th time to the dealership, they found one of the battery caps was bad. That seemed to have resolved the issue. It has been good a couple months now.

rchuro

Reactions
On the 5th time to the dealership, they found one of the battery caps was bad. That seemed to have resolved the issue. It has been good a couple months now.
wow, unbelievable that it took that many times for them to figure it out. Mine started the day after I used FORscan to make some changes. In your search for a solution when you were having the problem, did you happen to come across that being a source of the issue?

I still need to go try restoring my original FORscan settings to see if it goes away.

Reactions
wow, unbelievable that it took that many times for them to figure it out. Mine started the day after I used FORscan to make some changes. In your search for a solution when you were having the problem, did you happen to come across that being a source of the issue?

I still need to go try restoring my original FORscan settings to see if it goes away.
If you tryed to turn OFF the Auto Start Stop, that'd what did it.
I made single changes at a time on my ST and when I turned off the start stop, I got that warning. Turned it back on and it hasn't come back since then.

rchuro

Reactions
If you tryed to turn OFF the Auto Start Stop, that'd what did it.
I made single changes at a time on my ST and when I turned off the start stop, I got that warning. Turned it back on and it hasn't come back since then.
SilverST, that’s exactly what it was!! Finally got around to enabling the Auto Start/Stop in FORScan and the warning light stopped coming on when I start. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Reactions
SilverST, that’s exactly what it was!! Finally got around to enabling the Auto Start/Stop in FORScan and the warning light stopped coming on when I start. Thanks!!
Sure thing, man! Glad I could help! I had just experienced it two days prior to you, so it was still fresh on my mind.
Gonna have to shell out some cash for the damned Eliminator they make, haha.

ARN2410

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Good find. I had the same or similar experience. I had used Forscan to disable Auto Start/Stop. Then started seeing the Charging System Maintenance Soon warning message for a few days, I should have looked more closely at ForScan when I was eliminating the Auto Start/Stop. The ForScan software heading reads "BMS / Auto Stop Start system. With my Explorer ST I could not disable the Auto Stop Start WITHOUT ALSO DISABLING the BMS (Battery Monitor System). Lesson learned.