Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Changing the wheel design/decision for a third time.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Hard to find the exact wheel I wanted actually that was actually in stock. Unfortunately, there are long wait times for Volks. :( I just ordered some wheels so I can get some tires mounted up (selling factory 21's). These should work for now: RTR Tech 5 flow-forged 20x9.5 with a 33mm offset. A 295x45x20 puts me within 0.96% of factory overall diameter.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
DoingOK

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Only took three days to arrive. Not bad and they fit well.

91FEB632-D5DE-4FE5-B3AA-C659FD194F8F.jpeg 674222C1-3294-4C92-826F-5B4064A4EB9C.jpeg

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Are these winter wheels or just new wheels? Curious why you went down a size in diameter (if new wheels) but yet went with a wider tire (If winter wheels)... I thought the prevailing wisdom was narrower tires are better in snow/ice...

OP
DoingOK

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Are these winter wheels or just new wheels? Curious why you went down a size in diameter (if new wheels) but yet went with a wider tire (If winter wheels)... I thought the prevailing wisdom was narrower tires are better in snow/ice...
These are just new wheels that'll have a 295x45x20 vice the 275x45x21 factory tire. I like a little beefier looking set of tires. I don't normally have a "winter specific" wheelset for this area of Virginia. I have a 4x4 2018 Tacoma if we get snow. These are just wheels for all seasons.....just needed something before the Winter season starts because I had someone interested in my factory wheels. Unfortunately, the buyer changed their mind. I look back and see how my first post may have been confusing....but, I've never had "real" Winter snow tires before. ;-)

Reactions
I too thought you were going with dedicated winter tires on this set of wheels. Regardless of what tires you end up with, that is a good looking wheel that will look great on your car. Good job!

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
These are just new wheels that'll have a 295x45x20 vice the 275x45x21 factory tire. I like a little beefier looking set of tires. I don't normally have a "winter specific" wheelset for this area of Virginia. I have a 4x4 2018 Tacoma if we get snow. These are just wheels for all seasons.....just needed something before the Winter season starts because I had someone interested in my factory wheels. Unfortunately, the buyer changed their mind. I look back and see how my first post may have been confusing....but, I've never had "real" Winter snow tires before. ;-)
(y) They look great!

OP
DoingOK

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Thanks fellas. I’m curious how they’ll look when installed. They are currently getting ceramic coated before tire installation.

OP
DoingOK

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
They don't look too bad. Added black McGard spline drive lugnuts and we are good to go. I need to look up how to sync new tpms units to the car. I may add a 3mm spacer in the rear....the fronts are pretty flush. Can't wait until the H&R springs are available again.

nw3.JPG
nw2.JPG

Reactions
Looks really good. I like the meaty look the wide tires give and the wheels are a great style. Your ST should automatically sync up with the sensors after driving around for about 20 minutes.

OP
DoingOK

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Looks really good. I like the meaty look the wide tires give and the wheels are a great style. Your ST should automatically sync up with the sensors after driving around for about 20 minutes.
Thank you kindly.

OP
DoingOK

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the photoshop NYKn1ght. Looks great. Before and After.jpg