Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

CEL after BOV Addition

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Looking to the many people on here who are much smarter than me for some help/guidance.

As part of the Explorer's stay at the dealer, I had them look into a CEL regarding Evaporative Emissions System problems. I didn't think to pull codes before taking it in and will do so when I get it back later this week or next.

The dealer is stating that the CEL is due to the BOV. Since its a VTA it's not getting as many recirculated gases as it's expecting. I know absolutely nothing about this, but that just sounds off to me. To those smart people who know way more than I do, does this sound right, or is there something else going on? Naturally I'd love to get the warranty to cover the repair for the short amount of time I have it before I blow it to pieces with tune and other mods, though I'm not too concerned about that as long as I can get the issue resolved, if possible.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks y'all's help!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Makes sense. The original BOV was recirculated so it's expecting to see that air back in the intake, so the ECU thinks theirs a leak somewhere. I know on my old DSM, if you tried that it'd run like crap between shifts as the mixture richens up expecting the air from the BOV to recirculate back into the intake.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just remove the BOV. It's not necessary.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Makes sense. The original BOV was recirculated so it's expecting to see that air back in the intake, so the ECU thinks theirs a leak somewhere. I know on my old DSM, if you tried that it'd run like crap between shifts as the mixture richens up expecting the air from the BOV to recirculate back into the intake.
So a tune would take care if this?

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Just remove the BOV. It's not necessary.
"Necessary" is relative :ROFLMAO:

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm not familiar with tunes on these cars so I'm not sure.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
In talking with a mechanic friend he mentioned that it's likely not the hair that's blown off, but likely the change in vacuum since the that's how the BOV is controlled. Says it shouldn't have any impact on engine or drivability. Adam will be able to recalibrate the tolerances in the tune to fix the CEL. Thanks for your input :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
Looking to the many people on here who are much smarter than me for some help/guidance.

As part of the Explorer's stay at the dealer, I had them look into a CEL regarding Evaporative Emissions System problems. I didn't think to pull codes before taking it in and will do so when I get it back later this week or next.

The dealer is stating that the CEL is due to the BOV. Since its a VTA it's not getting as many recirculated gases as it's expecting. I know absolutely nothing about this, but that just sounds off to me. To those smart people who know way more than I do, does this sound right, or is there something else going on? Naturally I'd love to get the warranty to cover the repair for the short amount of time I have it before I blow it to pieces with tune and other mods, though I'm not too concerned about that as long as I can get the issue resolved, if possible.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks y'all's help!

You have a 2022, ford stopped putting BOV's midway through the 2021 model year. My ST came with a plug where the recirc valve would have gone. do you have a picture of where you got a vacuum reference from?