Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Car Wash and Radio Screeeeeeching

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Recently, when the wife and I take the ST through the Carwash at Costco by us, we go in like normal. When the initial high pressure jets hit the truck on all sides, no matter what is on the radio, Android Auto, Sirius, HDFM, BT, etc... The radio will suddenly have a massive static and screeching ear piercing sound at what sounds like FULL volume... we have to quickly turn off the radio and sit trying to hear again (insert mind picture of everyone's ears popping in the car and we are all sticking our pinkies in the ear canal and wiggling trying to hear again)... After we are done, and make our way to a parking spot to grab a micro fiber cloth and finish drying all the nooks and crannies, and door jams, and inside door panels that everyone always skips byt always is dirty as hell, and such, by the time we get to a parking spot, its working again when we turn on the radio after parking.

Not sure if the water jets are getting into the rear camera, or an antenna that is being fed power and such (since an antennae is no longer just a single coax wire, but a harness with a circuit board on it with electronics) or something. I don't see any evidence of this...

But not looking forward to taking it to ford and having it sit there for hours for them to just say "everything is fine" as the only time we can replicate it is at the carwash. So maybe whatever is happening a jet of water is hitting at the exact same angle/spot each time.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them??? I am googling and such and can't find anything!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The radio in the rear right side of the car. Do you have the sunroof?

OP
mharris1984
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Yeah, I do have the full sun roof/moon roof (don't know what is what for open vs stationary) but the full glass roof with the first half that opens up. no leaking through it or the windshield or side windows that i've seen.

OP
mharris1984
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Well that is what is happening... We went through the car wash yesterday and water POURED in the right rear window over the trim.... so water must be going in under the trim...

It got the radio because the audio cut out and NOTHING is working... the cameras are messed up, sounds are dead. It looks like everything is shot in the infotainment system...