Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Canadian Built ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Hey everyone,

I've started to see a couple ST's that have been imported from Canada, overall price and condition look to be on par. However, what are the odds of Ford's warranty not being honored in the US should something happen? Has anyone had issues buying an imported Canadian ST vs a home built one? I do plan on calling around to multiple dealerships and checking the warranty status on a VIN just to see, even thinking about calling up Ford too.

Thanks!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As far as I know all ST's have been built in Chicago. I'm guessing the ones you are talking about were sold in Canada.

OP
UnloadedDrip
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Thread Starter #3
As far as I know all ST's have been built in Chicago. I'm guessing the ones you are talking about were sold in Canada.
Well if I could read French I'd tell you :LOL: but the final assembly does say Chicago, I was able to dechiper French enough because it looks similar and it's in the same spot on the window sticker lol

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can use Google translate, It works pretty good. A few weeks ago I used it to translate Russian trying to help a guy.

OP
UnloadedDrip
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Thread Starter #5
You can use Google translate, It works pretty good. A few weeks ago I used it to translate Russian trying to help a guy.
I cought this on the Window Sticker, sounds like this would pose a problem with warranty no?

VEHICLE NOT INTENDED FOR USE
SALE OR REGISTRATION
IN THE UNITED STATES." PRICE OF
DETAIL EXCLUDING GST/QST

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would talk to a local dealer and see what they say.

OP
UnloadedDrip
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Thread Starter #7
I would talk to a local dealer and see what they say.
Thanks Dale, that's what I had thought. I'll post my findings for future reference with others. I plan on calling a few local ones for different answers, and even Ford themselves for warranty info.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Good luck with it. If you get one they are a lot of fun!

JDHRNC

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Here’s how things go in Canada, vehicles sold here can be sold to the US as long as they are at least 6 months old and have 15000kms on them. When buying a new vehicle we sign a non export agreement that is for 6 months. Many years ago my brother brought his Explorer Sport to the US when he moved to Boston and there was no problem with licensing it there as long as the gauge cluster was changed to mph. This involved a cluster change and was performed by the local dealership. There will be no issues with warranty either as the vehicle would be covered by an American dealer if the vehicle broke down while on a trip. If your Ford were to break down in Canada and you had valid warranty, it would be fixed at no charge to you up here (As far as I know).

OP
UnloadedDrip
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Thread Starter #10
Good luck with it. If you get one they are a lot of fun!
Not holding my breath, but I hope so too! I've looked at so many and dealerships aren't budging on their prices still. Hell, I was at Haggerty Chevrolet in Glen Ellyn, IL Saturday and they literally removed the listing and relisted it back at $56k for 12,000 miles while we were there!. Yesterday they relisted it to $58k again. Used, demo car which had more mileage, and two open recalls - but just about all ST's have those recalls.

Talk about a shady practice.

OP
UnloadedDrip
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Thread Starter #11
Here’s how things go in Canada, vehicles sold here can be sold to the US as long as they are at least 6 months old and have 15000kms on them. When buying a new vehicle we sign a non export agreement that is for 6 months. Many years ago my brother brought his Explorer Sport to the US when he moved to Boston and there was no problem with licensing it there as long as the gauge cluster was changed to mph. This involved a cluster change and was performed by the local dealership. There will be no issues with warranty either as the vehicle would be covered by an American dealer if the vehicle broke down while on a trip. If your Ford were to break down in Canada and you had valid warranty, it would be fixed at no charge to you up here (As far as I know).
Thanks JD for that info. Just got my cup of coffee and about to sign on for work, but later in the day I'll be calling to ensure the status of the warranty, because I absolutely despise dealerships lol

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I didn't think Explorers were in short supply. If I'm not mistaken, there's a $1000 incentive off a new one.

IIRC, someone with a Canadian Explorer had an issue with the display always wanting km/h. When they set it for MPH, it reverted back to km/h with the next start. Maybe some Forscan programming is needed.

OP
UnloadedDrip
Reactions
Vehicle
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
Thread Starter #13
I didn't think Explorers were in short supply. If I'm not mistaken, there's a $1000 incentive off a new one.

IIRC, someone with a Canadian Explorer had an issue with the display always wanting km/h. When they set it for MPH, it reverted back to km/h with the next start. Maybe some Forscan programming is needed.
From another thread I found, during the import process, part of that is selecting the country inside FordScan to US instead of Canada, which can be done with Forscan, but we haven't looked at it yet, from the photos it does have the MPH, and has been converted to miles instead of km.

However it does have the dual speedometer thing, top half is MPH and lower half shows KM/H - digital of course. However from looking on the facebook group, that can be turned off in the settings of the radio, or the steering wheel.

MTSchrambo

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I bought a 2021 Canadian import in February 2022, changed the KM to MPH on the speedo menu, no problem... Warranty work has been done on the rear brakes, so no problem with dealer warranty work, either... Pics of the rear rotors, dealer said this rusting is common on CA imports... I'm not buying it, tho...

IMG_0164.jpg

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I bought a 2021 Canadian import in February 2022, changed the KM to MPH on the speedo menu, no problem... Warranty work has been done on the rear brakes, so no problem with dealer warranty work, either... Pics of the rear rotors, dealer said this rusting is common on CA imports... I'm not buying it, tho...

View attachment 16419
Rust is normal on any brake rotor, even the ones coated for rust prone areas. Hell my brand new ST had rust on the rotors because it sat outside for so long getting to me. If this is the hill you want to die on be my guest.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Rust is normal on any brake rotor, even the ones coated for rust prone areas. Hell my brand new ST had rust on the rotors because it sat outside for so long getting to me. If this is the hill you want to die on be my guest.
Every vehicle I've ever owned has had rust on the brake rotors. They're not painted, and they're not stainless. Of course they're going to rust.

Last edited:

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Every vehicle I've ever owned has had rust on the brake rotors. They're not pained, and they're not stainless. Of course they're going to rust.
It's odd that the guy I replied to argued with their dealer that rotors don't rust.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
No, you're missing my point... Rotors rust I know, braking wears the rust off... My front rotors are worn to clean metal after driving, my rear rotors are always rusted, even after a hard run, never wearing down...

I find that odd...

JDHRNC

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

View attachment 16419
Being as part numbers are the same for both American and Canadian vehicles and both markets are produced in the Chicago plant this is BS. Canadian vehicles do not receive parts from different suppliers than American market vehicles.

JDHRNC

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
No, you're missing my point... Rotors rust I know, braking wears the rust off... My front rotors are worn to clean metal after driving, my rear rotors are always rusted, even after a hard run, never wearing down...

I find that odd...
It’s important to bare in mind the majority of braking occurs on the front brakes, as that is the bias as set by Ford and most other manufacturers. Looking at the pic you posted of the rear rotor on your vehicle and the amount of rust on the surface, I wonder how much mileage you have on the rears. I will look at the rear rotors on my 23 ST and report the wear findings here for your information.