Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can Reverse Brake Assist Be Tuned Off?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
They must have made that change for the 2021s then. My 2020 turns all the nannies back on at every startup.

Nice to hear they updated that…wish it would come out as an update for the 2020’s, although I’m just as happy turning off the parking sensors anyway as I can’t stand all the beebeebeebeebeebeebee when I’m trying to back into a tight spot.
I don’t mind the parking sensors nearly as much. I would’ve traded my car back in if I couldn’t disable their AWFUL rear brake assist permanently though (I have a ‘21). Or any brake assist for that matter. If that turned back on every time I got in the car I’d be so pissed and annoyed. Like there are a lot of features that are super annoying to me but that one is absolutely not something I will put up with. The first time it activated on me I was nowhere near hitting anything and it almost broke my dogs neck throwing him into the rear of the car. Felt like I actually hit something or like the rear differential separated from the subframe. There was absolutely no smoothness to it. Just a super abrupt slam when I was only going 2-3 miles mph, totally unnecessary.

Reactions
I don’t mind the parking sensors nearly as much. I would’ve traded my car back in if I couldn’t disable their AWFUL rear brake assist permanently though (I have a ‘21). Or any brake assist for that matter. If that turned back on every time I got in the car I’d be so pissed and annoyed. Like there are a lot of features that are super annoying to me but that one is absolutely not something I will put up with. The first time it activated on me I was nowhere near hitting anything and it almost broke my dogs neck throwing him into the rear of the car. Felt like I actually hit something or like the rear differential separated from the subframe. There was absolutely no smoothness to it. Just a super abrupt slam when I was only going 2-3 miles mph, totally unnecessary.
That’s one thing I like about disabling the parking sensors, it automatically kills the reverse brake assist too. The brake assist in both directions on these vehicles is absolutely horrendous.

Superloud

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
2023 Explorer ST
All Active Braking resets after ignition cycle.
20230517_232153_copy_600x1065.jpg

Screenshot_20230517_232857_Word.jpg